Suddenly, a Knock on the Door

by Etgar Keret | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggrovalskiiwing of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 12/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by winggrovalskiiwing from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, December 4, 2021
from amazon.de:
A man barges into a writer's house and, holding a gun to his head, demands that he tell him a story, something to take him away from the real world. A pathological liar discovers one day that all the lies he tells come true. A young woman finds a zip in her boyfriend's mouth, and when she opens it he unfolds to reveal a completely different man inside. Suddenly, a Knock on the Door is at once Keret's most mature and most playful work yet, and establishes him as one of the great international writers of our time.

Journal Entry 2 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, December 4, 2021
I really enjoyed reading this book. I'm not the biggest fan of short stories, but this was different. The stories were entertaining, but also sort of weird. And they gave me a glimpse into life in Israel, which I know next to nothing about. Because this book was very different than my usual reads, I will send it into the 2021 Favorite Roundabout. I suspect I will get mixed reviews. Some may hate it, hopefully some will also love it. I hope all of you can appreciate it in some way or another.

1. Dark-Draco (UK)
7. Grovalskii (Germany)
8. Paulanni (Finland)
9. Fifna (Netherlands)
10. Estelle1806 (Ireland)
11. Mcsar (Canada) (or first Mathgirl40 and then Mcsar)
12. Mathgirl40 (Canada)
13. Valpete (USA)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Thursday, December 16, 2021
The book is with me now, arrived today. I really look forward to reading it as I haven't read many works by Israeli authors.

Journal Entry 4 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Saturday, January 29, 2022
I quite liked Etgar Keret's short stories in this book - the very first one with the man demanding a story with a gun in his hand got me interested in the rest. Stories are witty and funny and, yes, bizarre at times. They are set in the real world, but some have magic in them, like a speaking goldfish or a company called Nice Weather, which sells weather control systems that sets its buyers up with the kind of weather they wish for around their houses. I also appreciated the international flavour of the stories, probably a reality of Israeli life. The man with a gun in the first story had come from Sweden, the other one from Morocco.

Thank you for sharing, grovalskii. I don't know if I had stumbled on this book without the Roundabout.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPaulanniwing at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Saturday, January 29, 2022

Released 5 mos ago (1/29/2022 UTC) at Riihimäki, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

The book is ready to go to its next reader. (Posted, but may not start its travel before Monday.)

Journal Entry 6 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, February 3, 2022
Arrived safely, thanks Paulanni!

Journal Entry 7 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, February 7, 2022
A weird and wonderful collection of stories that I found oddly enjoyable. Some more than others but that's to be expected I guess. Thanks for sharing, I doubt I would have come across it otherwise

Journal Entry 8 by wingFifnawing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (2/9/2022 UTC) at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

On its way to estelle 1806.

Journal Entry 9 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, February 18, 2022
Just received, before I fly to France for a few days, so will start reading it on Monday... Thanks, Fifna and grovalskii for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, February 27, 2022
I am afraid I did not really enjoy this collection of short stories. The first few ones were humorous and caught some of my attention, but then they started to get vulgar and nonsensical... I liked one, but got disappointed by the next, all through the book.
Thanks for sharing all the same, grovalskii.

Journal Entry 11 by wingestelle1806wing at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Sunday, February 27, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (2/28/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Travelling to Canada to the next reader on the roundabout, enjoy!

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 12 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 16, 2022
This book is now with me.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 14, 2022
I enjoyed these quirky and often strange stories. However, most of them were very brief and many felt like vignettes rather than actual stories, leaving me feeling somewhat unsatisfied at the end of the stories. Still, I liked getting impressions of the many facets of life in Israel.

Thank you, grovalskii, for offering this book to the roundabout.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 14, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (4/15/2022 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to the next reader, mcsar.

Journal Entry 15 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, April 28, 2022
The book is here with me. It came right after I finished another book from the roundabout. I like short stories and I will be starting on this one soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2022
I enjoyed this collection of quirky stories. I enjoyed the longer stories more. Many are quite surreal but fun to read. Most of them give me something to think about. Unzipping is a great story. The book is a great addition to the roundabout.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (5/19/2022 UTC) at Richmond, British Columbia Canada

On its way to valpete. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, May 21, 2022
Received! Next up on my reading list.

Journal Entry 19 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, June 11, 2022
Another book I would never have picked up on my own. So fun getting exposed to different authors and styles of writing. This was, indeed, a collection of weird, quirky short stories, some better than others.
Thanks for including this in the Roundabout.

Journal Entry 20 by valpete at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, June 12, 2022

Released 3 wks ago (6/13/2022 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 25, 2022
Received … Thank You