Death in the Dordogne

by Martin Walker | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 12/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 4, 2021
Captain Bruno Courrèges is in charge of a modest force in the town of St Denis in the Périgord region of France. Bruno is not your typical hard-hitting copper: he never carries the gun he owns, and rarely needs to arrest people. Here we find all the town turmoil as inspectors from Brussels swoop on the rural market, making many enemies. Bruno is worried by the fact that this phenomenon is invoking memories of the town's ignoble Vichy France past. Then an old man from a North African immigrant family is murdered…

DEATH IN THE DORDOGNE (The Dordogne Mysteries, 1) by MARTIN WALKER (2008) (aka Bruno, Chief of Police) | ISBN: 1-78429-940-5 / 978-1-78429-940-8 (UK Ed PB) | Publisher: Quercus

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2021
Terrifically appealing, in its characters and locations while the various plots, grand and incidental are, engaging and unexpected. What a treat, and I nearly passed this on unread!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Already with its intended recipients, one of whom who is kindly holding off making a 'caught' journal entry till I have officially made a 'release' journal entry! Book 11. of an ADVENT CALENDAR OF BOOKCROSSING BOOKS sent to eager readers in Somerset. I'm expecting this to skip between two different TBR piles lets see how close I come to being correct?

FESTIVE GREETINGS from rainbow3. [Christmas tree emoji comming up as two? In black diamonds?] ��😃

Journal Entry 4 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
An exceedingly late journaling of the parts of the Advent Calendar of Books received in December 2021. Apologies rainbow3, these have been awaiting journaling for ages, forgotten about, remembered again, forgotten again and only now have finally I got around to these!

This looks interesting and one I suspect we will both read, but on to tbr for now.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, January 15, 2023
A very appealing, gentle yet engaging storyline with beautiful descriptive passages detailing the countryside around the Dordogne. St Denis may be a provincial area but it nonetheless has its own problems, both past and present.
Benoit (Bruno) Courreges is a fascinating main character and we are introduced here to his town, his friends - both male and female, his beloved countryside, his dog (Gigi), and a whole bowlful of complicated characters interacting in many different ways. Local knowledge is used to advantage to solve the murder of the victim with lots of valid research thrown in. I even learned of something I had never known previously!

I found this book a good, easy read which I thought fascinating and it has been handed over to Mr Flutterbies9 who said he would like to read it also, so it is now residing on his tbr.