War and Peace (Wordsworth Classics)

by Leo Tolstoy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by PButtercup of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 5/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by PButtercup from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 08, 2004
I read this on a dare. It's a huge book with a lot of characters. It takes 200 pages just to sort them all out.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 21, 2006
Caught this at the meet-and-greet (aka "promiscuous book-swapping" {grin}) session at the 2006 BookCrossing convention in Toronto. It's one of those books I've been meaning to read but never did - but now there's a chance that the next Book Talk forum read-along will feature this book, so I nabbed it! [Granted that PButtercup's review is not exactly glowing; hope I don't regret this!]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 31, 2006
Still a work in progress, but I thought I'd start an entry to keep track. Since I'm reading War and Peace as part of the Book Talk readalong, I'll post links to the discussion threads. Here are the scheduled threads from jax987654321's outline, with the book sections listed for three different editions (this one's the Wordsworth Classic so it goes by the first Volume/Book grouping):

[Update: the site reorganization changed the links to older forum posts, so these may no longer work, but the forum-search function might find them.]

READALONG War and Peace (Wordsworth Classics/Penguin Classics/Constance Garnet)

Thread 1 - Monday 19th June 06 - Introduction (bit of a warm up!!)
Thread 2 - Monday 26th June 06 - Volume One - Book I/B1:P1/PI
Thread 8 - Monday 14th August 06 - Volume two - Book VII/B2:P4/PVII
Thread 9 - Monday 21st August 06 - Volume two - Book VIII/B2:P5/PVIII
Thread 10 - Monday 28th August 06 - Volume two - Book IX/B3:P1/PIX
Thread 11 - Mon 4th Sept 06 - Vol 2-Bk 10 Chs 1-18/B3:P2 -C.1-18/PX Chs 1-18
Thread 12 - Mon 11th Sept 06 - Vol 2- Bk 10 Chs 19-40/B3:P2 - C. 19-40/PX C. 19-40
- Monday 18th September 06 - Catchup/Rest/Breakweek
Thread 13 - Monday 25th September 06 - Volume three - Book XI/B3:11/PXI
Thread 14 - Monday 2nd October 06 - Volume three - Book XII/B4:P1/PX11
Thread 15 - Monday 9th October 06 - Volume three - Book X111/B4:P2/PXIII
Thread 16 - Monday 16th October 06 - Volume Three- Book XIV/B4:P3/PXIV
Thread 17 - Monday 23rd October 06 - Volume three - Book XV/B4:P4/PXV
Thread 18 - Monday 30th October 06 - Volume three - 1st Epilogue
Thread 19 - Monday 6th November 06 - 2nd Epilogue

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, November 09, 2006
Five months after beginning the readalong, I've finished War and Peace! More detailed comments are in my replies to the readalong threads (see the links in the previous journal entry); overall, I enjoyed the book, mostly for the stories of the individuals caught up in the war but also for the overview of historical events and the ways that chroniclers often misinterpret or completely rearrange them. Worth the effort, definitely!

[Updated to add a strong recommendation for Sergei Bondarchuk's 1967 film version of the book - a mini-series, actually, at 8 hours plus. Great performances, wonderful epic scenes, very impressive book-to-screen translation. I found it via Netflix.]

For a quirky look at the novel and some of the films, see the TV Tropes page.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at J Beaner's cafe, 25 Rt. 101A in Amherst, New Hampshire USA on Friday, November 10, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/10/2006 UTC) at J Beaner's cafe, 25 Rt. 101A in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

Having succeeded in reading Tolstoy's epic (thanks to the BookCrossing readalong), I'm passing this book on so somebody else can give it a try. I left it on one of the counters near the coffee station of J. Beaner's at around 1; hope the finder enjoys it!

Journal Entry 6 by Germanophile from Litchfield, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, April 05, 2007
I totally forgot about this book! Got it @ J. Beaner's in Amherst, NH, about 2 months ago, threw it in the car, intending to take it home & journal it, then forgot all about it. I went to clean out the car, and it was under the front seat. Sorry!

I've read this book in the original Russian. Skimmed through the English translation, but didn't care, so will have to release it again. I have to drive to Michigan through New York State and Canada, so I just might leave it behind in a hotel! Time will tell. Stay tuned!

Released 11 yrs ago (4/27/2007 UTC) at Charlevoix Public Library, Clinton/Mason Streets in Charlevoix, Michigan USA

Left on a large leather-covered bench on the left-hand side of the main entrance.