How the Irish Saved Civilization

by Thomas Cahill | History |
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 11/26/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, November 26, 2021
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"From the fall of Rome to the rise of Charlemagne - the "dark ages" - learning, scholarship, and culture disappeared from the European continent. The great heritage of western civilization - from the Greek and Roman classics to Jewish and Christian works - would have been utterly lost were it not for the holy men and women of unconquered Ireland.

In this delightful and illuminating look into a crucial but little-known "hinge" of history, Thomas Cahill takes us to the "island of saints and scholars, " the Ireland of St. Patrick and the Book of Kells. Here, far from the barbarian despoliation of the continent, monks and scribes laboriously, lovingly, even playfully preserved the west's written treasures. With the return of stability in Europe, these Irish scholars were instrumental in spreading learning. Thus the Irish not only were conservators of civilization, but became shapers of the medieval mind, putting their unique stamp on western culture. "

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, November 26, 2021
This copy is a used book I bought online and while otherwise it's in good condition, the spine and back cover are quite damaged. I'll do my best to fix it somehow, although I admit I'm not a very crafty person...

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, December 2, 2021
I finished "How the Irish Saved Civilization" now and I'm kind of disappointed.
Unfortunately Thomas Cahill roams on all kind of irrelevant stuff, sometimes his information is plain wrong, he often assumes rather than presents solid facts, while in a short book of 200-250 pages, he doesn't really touch his subject matter till around page 150. And he does this superficially and not very convincingly. More importantly, he seems to equate civilization with western (?) civilisation and the whole western civilization with christianity and its church establishments.

Maybe if I was completely clueless about Irish mythology, history etc or even about some persons and events of the antiquity in Greece and Rome, I would have find parts of the book more interesting. I think that I would still have found it disjointed somehow and I would still believe that the author didn't succeed to support the premise of the book's title.

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at James Joyce Pub in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Released 4 mos ago (1/18/2022 UTC) at James Joyce Pub in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

Good Luck little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!