The Housekeeper and the Professor

by Yoko Ogawa | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Meg72 of Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on 11/22/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Meg72 from Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, November 22, 2021
He is a brilliant math professor, with a peculiar problem--since a traumatic head injury, he has lived with only eighty minutes of short-term memory. She is an astute young housekeeper with a ten-year-old son who is hired to care for him. And between them a strange, beautiful relationship blossoms. Though the professor can hold new memories for only eighty minutes, his mind is still alive with elegant equations from the past; and through him, the numbers, in all of their articulate order, reveal a sheltering and poetic world to both the housekeeper and her son.

Journal Entry 2 by Meg72 at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, November 22, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (11/22/2021 UTC) at Ílhavo, Aveiro Portugal

Happy Birthday and... Merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, November 30, 2021
This looks lovely, thank you Meg72

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, December 23, 2021
In itself, this book is a beautiful object, with nice paper, clear printing and a lovely cover - a Vintage Japanese Classic, which look very collectable.

The many references to baseball were lost on me, more so than the fascination with numbers, which, though they daunt me, were easy to understand. By coincidence, I recently read something about the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan and the very next day, saw there was a film about him, The Man who Knew Infinity, on the TV, which I enjoyed very much. So maybe I should try to understand the apparent magic of numbers.

This is a touching story, and quite sad.

Journal Entry 5 by wingover-the-moonwing at Avenue Floréal in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, January 3, 2022

Released 2 wks ago (1/4/2022 UTC) at Avenue Floréal in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

for the meetup