The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

by Alexander McCall Smith | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 034911675x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 5/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, May 08, 2004
Introduction to Precious Ramotswe, Botswana's only female private detective.
I know I am going to love this and the follow-ups.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, June 10, 2004
A light-hearted book, good reading for train journeys. I know several women like Precious Ramotswe, cheerful, resourceful African women, who have set themselves up in business in Switzerland, one importing fruit from her home village and selling it to restaurants here, another selling Tongan glass beads on the market, another who braids hair. I have a great admiration for them all.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, May 19, 2005
Sending this to schildkroet in Germany along with the next in the series, but I am taking advantage of the fact that I am laid up with sprained ankle to read it again quickly before posting.

Posted today, 13th June 2005.

Journal Entry 4 by Schildkroet on Friday, June 24, 2005
I got it yesterday from silentmiaow and immediately started reading.

Journal Entry 5 by Schildkroet on Wednesday, July 06, 2005
I have started a bookring in Germany for this book.

Das Buch gibts jetzt als Ring. Teilnehmer bis jetzt:

polly-w

silentmiaouw

Journal Entry 6 by Schildkroet on Thursday, July 07, 2005

Journal Entry 7 by Schildkroet on Saturday, July 09, 2005
Sent to -Baghira- today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, July 14, 2005
I got it today - and will also start reading immediately!

Journal Entry 9 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, July 21, 2005
I loved this book and really enjoyed reading it, particularly with the "African" weather on the last weekend...I have finished it by now and sent it to sillesoeren yesterday. (Now I will start looking for the other books with Mma Ramotswe).

Journal Entry 10 by wingsillesoerenwing from Hürth, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, July 23, 2005
The book arrived savely and got a place at the summit of Mount TBR

Edit: Nice to read. A fascinating landscape for a crime story.

Journal Entry 11 by -Baghira- from Enskede, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, September 05, 2005
This is not a journal entry for this book, just a short comment to all interested people on the list who may not have seen it so far:
The next series of the Mma Ramotswe books (The tears of the giraffe) is also a bookring now! If you are interested in this, just write me a PM..

Journal Entry 12 by wingsillesoerenwing at per Post in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/1/2005 UTC) at per Post in ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to a fellow bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 13 by enitsirhc72 from Bickenbach, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 07, 2005
Today the book arrived safely. Thank you.

Journal Entry 14 by enitsirhc72 from Bickenbach, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
I really liked this book. It is told in a slow way and is very heart-warming and charming. The little crime stories were entertaining, but for me the special thing about this book was simply the life of Mma Ramotswe.

I will send this book on to husky.

Journal Entry 15 by husky from Kürnbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, December 02, 2005
TWO books arrived today, The Tears of the Giraffe and this one in the same parcel. Thankyou! Looking forward to reading them! Hope it won`t take too long!

NOW that I`ve read it: I like the book very much. The stories are mostly really funny. Sometimes you get a few impressions on the "hard facts" of life in Africa but still the book, like Precious Ramotswe, is optimistic and up-lifting.

This will continue it`s journey these days to captaincarrot.

Journal Entry 16 by husky from Kürnbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, December 14, 2005
On the way to Captain Carrot!

Journal Entry 17 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, December 17, 2005
The book arrived today - thanks to all! I just started "Morality for beautiful girls", but now, of course, I'll read this one first!

Journal Entry 18 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, December 28, 2005
What a nice, cheerful optimistic book! I know nothing about Botswana - time to change that!
Thanks to all for a book I never would have read without bc! Now I'll send the book to polly-w.

Journal Entry 19 by polly-w from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Monday, January 02, 2006
The book has arrived safely today. It must wait a little bit on my MTBR but I will try not to wait too long...
Thank you for sharing this nice book!

Journal Entry 20 by polly-w from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Sunday, February 12, 2006
I also loved this book! First I thought it would be a "real" crime novel which it is not;it's more about Mma Ramotswe's life and about the people around her, and much about life in Botswana. Very nice. I will try to get hold of the other books on her one by one...
Thank you very much for this ring!
I will send the book on to Zoe1971 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 21 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, February 14, 2006
The book arrived safely at my place today. Thank you, polly-w for sending it!

I'm really looking forward ro reading it, but the book will have to be a little patient with me: I'll have to read 4 other books first that are as well travelling as bookrays or bokrings... - I'll give my very best too read them real fast!

Thank you, Schildkroet, for starting this bookring!

Journal Entry 22 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
I didn't know what kind of literature I had to expect from this book, but it was a positive surprise. It was a light, entertaining lecture that made me look forward to the follow-ups of this series.

The book accompanied me on my vacation to Spain.

I'm going to return it to silentmiaouw as soon as I get the adress.

Journal Entry 23 by Zoe1971 at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 09, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (9/9/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way back to Switzerland via snail-mail...

Journal Entry 24 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, September 13, 2006
ON THE RETURN OF A BOOK SENT ON A BOOKRING

I GIVE humble and hearty thanks for the safe return of this book which having endured the perils of my friend’s bookcase, and the bookcases of my friend’s friends, now returns to me in reasonably good condition.

I GIVE humble and hearty thanks that my friend did not see fit to give this book to an infant as a plaything, nor use it as an ashtray for his burning cigar, nor as a teething-ring for his mastiff.

WHEN I lent this book I deemed it as lost : I was resigned to the bitterness of this long parting : I never thought to look upon its pages again.

BUT NOW that my book is come back to me, I rejoice and am exceeding glad ! Bring hither the fatted morocco and let us rebind the volume and set it on the shelf of honour ; for this my book was lent, and is returned again.

PRESENTLY, therefore, I may return some of the books that I myself have borrowed.

SERIOUSLY, I am very pleased that this book has been so well-travelled and well-read. Thanks everyone for your comments and picture.

Released 3 yrs ago (2/6/2016 UTC) at Boîte à livres - Église du Valentin in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

dans la boîte