The Tattooist of Auschwitz

by Heather Morris | History |
Registered by Spartaca of Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 11/14/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Spartaca from Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, November 14, 2021
A man given the job of tattooing numbers on the arms of prisoners at Auschwitz spots a young woman waiting to be tattooed and falls in love with her. He determines that he will help her survive. How he does that I don't yet know as I haven't read the book.

Journal Entry 2 by Spartaca at Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, June 24, 2022
The book is a partly imagined, or fictionalised account based on the life of the man who was actually given the job of tattooing prisoners at Auschwitz. Since the Nazis had this use for him, he was able to survive the war. His job enabled him to get slightly better accommodation and slightly more food. When he realised that people who could claim to have a particular job or skill that was of use in running the camp would be more likely to survive, he helped several to use their particular skill to get a 'job' that could keep them alive. One man he helps by telling him how to show off his unusual strength to the Nazis as they are bound to find some use for him, tragically gets turned into the camp torturer. But this turns out to his advantage later as when the Nazis suspect him of smuggling and turn him over to the torturer to beat answers out of him, the man instructs him when to feign unconsciousness and fools the Nazis into thinking he knows nothing.
The story shows what a fine line people had to tread to survive a concentration camp between being simply resourceful and being sucked into participating in the Nazis criminal and immoral activities. The tattooist emigrated to Australia after the war and kept his time at a concentration camp secret because he feared being prosecuted for collaborating with the Nazis. He only talked about it in old age and only obliquely through this semi-fictionalised account.

Journal Entry 3 by Spartaca at Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, June 18, 2023
I'm changing the status of this book from permanent collection to reserved and I'm going to offer it as a book ray. I'm out of shelf space for books, and don't want to have to start stacking them round the edges of the room so I'm letting go of books I'm unlikely to re-read in the next five years. Ideally I'd make more money and be able to afford the higher rent for a bigger house where I'd have more book space but unfortunately I'm unemployed and likely to remain so. Employers won't touch people over 50. I got a temporary job in 2020 (when everybody else was being laid off due to the lockdown measures!) and it took me hundreds of applications, 52 interviews and three-and-a-half years before I got that. Nothing since except two month-long agency jobs. F** ageism.

Journal Entry 4 by Olivia_Lo at Shoufeng, Hualien Taiwan on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Thank you! I look forward to reading it!!

Journal Entry 5 by Olivia_Lo at Shoufeng, Hualien Taiwan on Saturday, February 17, 2024

Released 5 mos ago (2/17/2024 UTC) at Shoufeng, Hualien Taiwan

Enjoy the book and don't forget to journal it so that people have an idea of where it is going :)

Journal Entry 6 by Alia_Rus at Rīga, Rīga Latvia on Thursday, March 14, 2024
Thank you for sending this book to me.