Never Far from Nowhere

by Andrea Levy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Brookler of Powell River, British Columbia Canada on 10/31/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Brookler from Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, October 31, 2021
A birthday wishlist surprise!

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, November 21, 2021
oh how wonderful! I loved her novel Small Island, and this looks just as good.
Thank you Brookler!

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, January 15, 2022
Sisters Olive and Vivien, born in London of Jamaican parents, lead very different lives: Olive abandoned by her husband, lives with her mother and her baby Amy; Vivien is younger, leading the same kind of teenage life as I did - the horror of school discos, youth club, first boyfriends, O levels, A levels, getting into college and leaving home, it all resonated with me and brought back many memories.

It is quite a sad book, but reflects the reality of England in the second half of the 20th century, heightened by prejudice and racism.

I'll look out for more by Andrea Levy. How sad that she died aged only 62.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (2/1/2022 UTC) at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

Maybe one of the other Lausanne bookcrossers would like to read it...