Around the World

by The Clever Factory | Children's Books |
Registered by hobbit of Poughkeepsie, New York USA on 10/30/2021
Journal Entry 1 by hobbit from Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Saturday, October 30, 2021
WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING!
Please post a comment to let us know you've found this book (you can do it anonymously, or join up for extra fun). Enjoy reading it and then, please journal your thoughts on it here. Unless you want to keep it, please re-release it for others to find. You can be as inventive as you like about this! The information here on www.bookcrossing.com will give you all the information you need to help this book keep travelling around the world. Thank you and happy reading!

This book shows some famous, impressive places in the world. I've been to 7 of them myself and would love to visit the other 11.

Journal Entry 2 by hobbit at Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Monday, January 24, 2022
This book is traveling with an "Around the World" bookbox featuring a collection of books from different places, and will act as the journal for the bookbox. Here's the thread where the bookbox rules and signups are.

This is a replacement for a previously stalled version of the bookbox. Here's a link to the previous journal.

The bookbox begins with these 12 books (and, of course, the journal book):
. France - The Lady and the Unicorn
. England - Guenevere Queen of the Summer Country
North America:
. Guatemala - 01-01-00
. several (could be used for NA, SA, Africa, Asia, Europe) - 100 Women Who Shaped World History
Pacifica / Oceana:
. New Zealand - The Eel That Slept
. Samoa - Ola
South America:
. Columbia - Love in the Time of Cholera
. several (could be used for SA or NA) - Three Weeks with My Brother

I note that some of these may be used for other countries also, depending on whether you count where the action takes place (and some move from country to country), where the author was born, or where the author lived / lives. Like life, books don't always fall easily into one slot.

Anyway, here goes - may the box travel safely and may all of the participants find something they enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by hobbit at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 28, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (2/1/2022 UTC) at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending to the next recipient

Journal Entry 4 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Friday, February 11, 2022
This box is full of wonderful choices!

I looked through The African Lookbook and then put it back in the box for others to enjoy.

I selected:
Guatemala - 01-01-00
Iran - The Sky of Red Poppies
England - Guenevere Queen of the Summer Country
Samoa - Ola

(Pacific) Hawaii - The Girl from Everywhere
(Europe) Greece - The Song of Achilles
(Asia) Singapore - The Bondmaid
and a wildcard--Together on Top of the World: The Remarkable Story of the First Couple to Climb the Fabled Seven Summits. Although it emphasizes Mount Everest, the two climbed the highest peaks on all seven continents.

Journal Entry 5 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 1, 2022
I've been looking forward to the "Around the World" Bookbox. Happily it arrived today!

Journal Entry 6 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Friday, March 4, 2022
I've made my choices:
Love in the Time of Cholera (SA: Columbia))
The Girl from Everywhere (Pacifica: Hawaii)
The Song of Achilles (Europe: Greece)
The Best We Could Do (Asia: Vietnam)

Into the box I shall put:
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (NA: Native American Tribal Nations)
One Italian Summer (Europe: Italy)
The Hills is Lonely (Europe: Scotland and the Hebrides)
Arabia: A Journey Through the Labyrinth (Asia: Saudia Arabia)

Thank you for this lovely box!

Journal Entry 7 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, March 9, 2022
I received this bookbox on 3/7. I will make my selections and contact the next person in line for their address.

Journal Entry 8 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Monday, March 14, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (3/14/2022 UTC) at Hobbs, New Mexico USA

I selected “One Italian Summer” (Europe-Italy)

I replaced it with “Lilac Girls” (Europe-Germany, France, Poland or North America-NYC)

On its way to the next recipient today.

Journal Entry 9 by Ninas_BookNook at Yorktown, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 26, 2022
Got this as the journal book for the "Around the World" Book Box. How clever! I will make my selections this week and send the box on to the next person.

I removed the following:
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (North America - Native tribal nations)
The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith (Europe - Scotland and the Hebrides)
100 Women Who Shaped World History by Gail Meyer Rolka (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia)
The African Look Book by Catherine E. McKinley (Africa - various nations)

And added these:
A Hope in the Unseen by Ron Suskind (North America - USA)
Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton (North America - USA or Europe - England)
Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi (Africa - Ghana, Nigeria or Europe - England or North America - New York)
Conspiracy 365: Revenge by Gabrielle Lord (Pacific - Australia)

Journal Entry 10 by Ninas_BookNook at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (3/29/2022 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Hampshire USA

And on this little journal goes, accompanying all the other books "Around the World."

Journal Entry 11 by wingJ4Shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Monday, May 23, 2022
A book in the Around the World Bookbox

Journal Entry 12 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, May 26, 2022
I'll be moving this box on within the week. As I pack the box up, it contains the following books:

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

Pawley's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Wildcard
Together on Top of the World by Phil and Susan Ershler

Journal Entry 13 by hobbit at Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Sunday, July 3, 2022
I'm adding a journal entry to say that this box has apparently been lost in the mail. The tracking number shows that it was delivered but the recipient never got it. Sigh. Well, who knows - it could show up. Stranger things have happened.

Since this was going to the last person on the list, I'll wait a couple of months to restart a new box. I don't have this book as a journal, so I'll either use the original journal postcard (which was returned to me) or another small book. If I remember, I'll come and put the link here.

Journal Entry 14 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 10, 2022
The box showed up a month after it was supposedly delivered. So, it will now continue on to hobbit.

Removing:
The Lilac Girls
The Lady and the Unicorn

Adding
Mister Pip Papau-New Guinea http://bookcrossing.com/journal/7950035
The Lost City of Z Brazil, South America http://bookcrossing.com/journal/11017249

Journal Entry 15 by wingNancyNovawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, July 10, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (7/10/2022 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Into the "Around the World" bookbox

Journal Entry 16 by hobbit at Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Monday, July 18, 2022
This little book has returned safely home after some mysterious adventures. Wouldn't it be interesting if it could tell the tale?

It was accompanied by 17 books from around the world as well as a lovely little beaded book string. I'll set it aside - perhaps it will travel again with a future book box.

Journal Entry 17 by hobbit at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, September 10, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (9/12/2022 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Hurray, it's the beginning of the Around the World Bookbox #2 and this will once again be the journal book.

The box will begin with the following books:
Africa:

Asia:

Europe:

North America, Central America, & the Caribbean:

Pacifica:

South America:

Wildcard:

Journal Entry 18 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2022
Box is here. What a perfect journal book!
Will go through the books and send them out next week.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, September 23, 2022
Mister Pip
The Jaguar Smile
Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Kalahari
The Daughter of Siena
Love in the Time of Cholera

Adding:
The Jewel Trader of Pegu (Burma/Italy)
From Baghdad to America (Iraq/USA)
The Land at the End of the World (Portugal)
Odin's Child (Norway)
Solomon Time (Solomon Islands)
One for the Road (Australia)

Off to NancyNova.

Journal Entry 20 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 6, 2022
the travel book for the around the world bookbox

Journal Entry 21 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 8, 2022
Cuba Libre
The Jewel Trader of Pegu
Smilia's Sense of Snow
Solomon Time

Adding in
Swimming with the Dead (BVI)
Zero Hour (Australia/Indonesia)
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (Burma)
Stay with Me (Nigeria)

Journal Entry 22 by wingNancyNovawing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, October 9, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (10/9/2022 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

The book journal is back in the box!

Journal Entry 23 by wingLaveggioCoffeewing at Binghamton, New York USA on Sunday, October 16, 2022
box has arrived - will update when selections are made

Taken Out:
Asia - From Bahdad to America
Australia - One for the Road
South America - A Reading Diary
Wildcard - History of the World in Six Glasses - (this was on my wishlist :-) )

Put in:
Asia - Fragrant Harbor
Australia - Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All
Africa - The Thief and the Dogs
North America - Light on Snow

USPS tracking # 9549 0117 9566 2295 4892 56

Journal Entry 24 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2022
The box is here.

Something in the Water - Oceania/Bora Bora
Mauve - Europe/England
Foreign Flowers: An African Journey - Africa/Zambia
Spoken from the Heart - North America/USA

Journal Entry 25 by dabercro at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (11/2/2022 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent the bookbox to rhythmbiscuit in CO.

Journal Entry 26 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, November 9, 2022
Norway - Odin's Child
Egypt - The Thief and the Dogs
Mexico - Like Water for Chocolate

Antarctica - Migrations
Afghanistan - The Bookseller of Kabul
Wildcard - The Geography of Bliss

Journal Entry 27 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Received in the Around the World Book box #2.

I took out:

1. Spoken From the Heart by Laura Bush (North America)
2. Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester (Asia)
3. Mauve by Simon Garfield (Europe)
4. Foreign Flowers by Peggy Rogers (Africa)

and Putting In:

1. The Girls Are All So Nice Here by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn (North America)
2. The Last Song Of Dusk by Siddhartha Dhanvant (Asia)
3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Europe)
4. An African Awakening by Valerie Bell (Africa)

Journal Entry 28 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Thursday, November 17, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (11/17/2022 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released in the Around the World Book box #2.

Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 29 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, December 3, 2022
The book box arrived, and is full of good picks. I’ll figure out what I have to add and then keep it moving.

Journal Entry 30 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, December 26, 2022
As I look through past journal entries, I see I am replacing a couple of books taken out by others! Hope someone else finds them a good choice. :)

I took:
Swimming with the Dead (British Virgin Islands)
Infidel (Africa)
The Geography of Bliss (Wildcard)
Something in the Water (Bora Bora/Oceania)

Replaced with:
Lilac Girls (Europe/France)
Solomon Time (Oceania)
The Paradise Guest House (Indonesia)

Sending out tomorrow!

Journal Entry 31 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Bellingham, Washington USA on Saturday, January 7, 2023
The bookbox is here.

I took the following books out of the bookbox:
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Europe)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Europe)
Remarkable Places (Wild Card)
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad (Asia)

I am adding the following books to the bookbox:
Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros (North America)
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller (Africa)
family planning by Karan Mahajan (Asia)
Hostage to War by Tatjana Wassiljewa (Europe)

Journal Entry 32 by tabby-cat-owner at Bellingham, Washington USA on Saturday, January 7, 2023
Sorry, I didn't realize that I wasn't logged in when I caught the journal book, "Around the World". I am going to list again the books I'm taking out of the bookbox and adding to the bookbox so I can include the country. PLEASE NOTE: I have changed my mind on one of the books that I was taking out of the bookbox and took out another book instead, so the list of books taken out on the "Anonymous Finder" entry differs from the entry under my userid.

Taken out of the bookbox:
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Europe/Ireland)
Remarkable Places (Wildcard)
Solomon Time by Will Randall
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad (Asia/Afghanistan)

Putting into the bookbox:
A Hostage to War by Tatjana Wassiljewa (Europe/Russia/Germany)
Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros (North America/Mexica/U.S.A.)
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller (Africa/Zimbabwe)
family planning by Karan Mahajan (Asia/India)
The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield (Oceania/New Zealand)
The Girl Who Married a Lion and other tales from Africa by Alexander McCall Smith (Africa/Zimbabwe/Botswana)

Journal Entry 33 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2023
The box has arrived today!

Journal Entry 34 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Thursday, January 19, 2023
I'm taking out:
Caramelo (North America)
Lilac Girls (North America)
Never Let Me Go (Europe)
The Garden Party and Other Stories (Australia)
Tales from Silver Lands (North America)
The Girl Who Married a Lion (Africa)
The Last Song of Dusk (Asia)
Family Planning (Asia)
Hostage to War (Europe)

I'm putting in:
A Sky-Blue Bench (Asia)
The Best We Could Do (Asia)
The World on a Plate (Around-the-World)
Winter in Wartime (Europe)
Shadow of a Bull (Europe)
The Paris Library (Europe)
Shooting the Boh (Asia)
Born a Crime (Africa)

Journal Entry 35 by winghaahaahaa98wing at Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 28, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (1/28/2023 UTC) at Watertown, Massachusetts USA

Born a Crime
The World on a Plate
The Paradise Guest House

Put in:
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (Asia)
Provence, 1970 (Europe)
Please Look After Mom (Asia)
Second Front: Censorship and Propaganda in the Gulf War (N.A./Asia)
Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic (Mix / Wild Card)

Journal Entry 36 by winghaahaahaa98wing at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (2/14/2023 UTC) at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Around-the-world Bookbox has been sent!

Journal Entry 37 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Friday, February 17, 2023
I have taken out of the bookbox:

Europe - Winter in Wartime
Europe - The Paris Library
Asia - Shooting the Boh
Asia - Please Look After Mom
N. America - Girls are All So Nice Here
Pacific - Migrations
Africa - The Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness
Wildcard (N. America/Europe) - Provence, 1970

I am adding to the bookbox:

Europe - The Paying Guests
Europe - Year of Wonders
Asia - My Father's Notebook
Asia - In Order to Live
Pacific - Nine Perfect Strangers
S. America - Portrait in Sepia
Wildcard (N. America, Europe, Asia) - The Geographer's Library

Journal Entry 38 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Monday, February 20, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (2/20/2023 UTC) at Renton, Washington USA

on its way back home to hobbit

Journal Entry 39 by hobbit at Poughkeepsie, New York USA on Monday, February 27, 2023
The book box has landed safely on my doorstep and is inside, warm and dry, before our anticipated snowstorm tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who participated!

I'm working tonight so I'll journal all the books tomorrow morning - a perfect snowy day activity! I expect I'll start a new round in 1 - 3 months.

Journal Entry 40 by hobbit at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/13/2024 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Well, it has been almost 11 months but I'm sending this out again as the journal book for a new round (#3) of the Around the World Bookbox.

The box will begin with these books.

- Nigeria: The Girl with the Louding Voice

- India: Behind the Beautiful Forevers
- Russia: Owls of the Eastern Ice
- Vietnam: The Beauty of Humanity Movement

- Estonia: The Man Who Spoke Snakish

North America (including Central America & Carribean)
- St Lucia: Homeland and other stories

- A Private War
- The Black Penguin
- To Shake the Sleeping Self

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 41 by wing39301wing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, January 18, 2024
I'm keeping:

Wildcards (multiple countries / continents):
- A Private War
- Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
- To Shake the Sleeping Self

Journal Entry 42 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
To Shake the Sleeping Self
The Beauty of Humanity Movement
The Girl with the Louding Voice
The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu
The Secret History of Costaguana

The Eight--France, Russia, Algeria
01-01-00--Guatemala
Burma Superstar (cookbook)--Myanmar
Auntie Luce's Talking Paintings (children's)--Haiti
An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good--Sweden

Journal Entry 43 by tabby-cat-owner at Bellingham, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
I am taking the following books out of the box:
Auntie Luce's Talking Painting by Francie Latour (Caribbean/Haiti)
Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan (wild card)
Burma Superstar: Addictive Recipes from the Crossroads of Southeast Asia (Asia/Burma)
Hungry Devils And other tales from Vanuatu by Bryan Webb (Oceana/Vanuatu)
Morning in Serra Mattu: A Nubian Ode by Arif Gamal (Africa/Sudan)

I am putting the following books into the box:
Bill Bryson's African Diary (Africa/Kenya)
Colours of Survival: Discovering Hope in Bangladesh by Adrian and Bridget Plass (Asia/Bangladesh)
Goodbye Tsugumi by Banana Yoshimoto (Asia/Japan)
House of the Red Fish by Graham Salisbury (Pacific/Hawaii)
North to Paradise: A Memoir by Ousman Umar (wildcard)

Journal Entry 44 by tabby-cat-owner at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2024 UTC) at Around the World, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book is traveling in the Around the World bookbox to Dabercro of Utah.

Journal Entry 45 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Thursday, February 22, 2024
I am choosing the following books:
An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good (Europe/Sweden)
Homegoing (Africa/Ghana)
Goodbye Tsugumi (Asia/Japan)
House of the Red Fish (Pacific/Hawaii)

I'm adding the following books:
Like Water for Chocolate (North/Central America / Mexico
The Clock Winder (North America / USA
Shanghai Girls (Asia / Japan)
The Last Bookshop in London (Europe / England)

Journal Entry 46 by dabercro at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, February 23, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2024 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Traveling to Chicvolley99.

Journal Entry 47 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, March 6, 2024
Received in the Around the World Bookbox.

1. The Clock Winder by Anne Tyler

2. The Monk by Matthew Lewis
3. The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
4. Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
5. Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje

Journal Entry 48 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/6/2024 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released in the Around the World Bookbox.

Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 49 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, March 31, 2024
Box is here, will go through and send it out in a week or two.