river of the brokenhearted

by David Adams Richards | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 10/27/2021
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 27, 2021
I bought this book at a charity shop in my neighbouring city of Kitchener.

I am participating in a couple of reading challenges in 2021 and as the year is drawing to a close things have unexpectedly gotten off-track with them. I'm trying to get them back on track, and this book is part of that.

I had a different New Brunswick book all ready to go for my Canadian Provinces & Territories challenge, but it has been mislaid while waiting to be read... So now this one is stepping into the breach!

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 5, 2021
This book is a somewhat sweeping generational saga of a couple of families in a town along the Miramichi River. I don't think it ever says the town's name but it's easy to figure out that it's Newcastle (now technically part of the city of Miramichi), as Newcastle fits the town's description, is the author's hometown, and is also the hometown of some historical people who are mentioned in the text as residents of the unnamed town. The story deals with effects going back to Ireland in the 1790s, but most of the book deals with the 1900s, especially from the 1910s into the early 1990s.

When you set out to read a book called River of the Brokenhearted, you probably shouldn't expect it to be nice and happy. Spanning such an amount of time and encompassing such an array of characters, of course there are happy moments... But this book was largely tragic, in my eyes. There's some thriller kind of elements to it, and it redeemed itself somewhat to me by having a bit of hope thrown in towards the end-- but largely it is a sad book.

This is the first book by David Adams Richards that I have read and I think he seems to be a talented writer (though there was one writing/editing thing that drive me crazy multiple times throughout the book), but maybe a little darker than my taste in literature tends to run, if this book is an indication.

Having read this book set in New Brunswick, I have officially completed one of my reading challenges for this year (to read a book set in each Canadian province/territory)! It was actually a two-year challenge spanning 2020-2021 , and it took me a lot longer than I expected it to... But I think that for most of us life has taken quite a sideways turn from what we expected around the start of 2020! Anyway, it feels very good to cross my final book for this challenge off of my reading list! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Mustang Drive-In in Guelph, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 3, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (7/3/2022 UTC) at Mustang Drive-In in Guelph, Ontario Canada

We came to watch Canada Day fireworks from our car, and I released this book in the time before the evening's entertainment started. Since the cover image for this book is a drive-in, I thought our local drive-in would be a good place to leave it! I put it on one the stacks of plastic chairs in the little covered area near the washroom-side entrance to the building.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2022 Canada Release Month Challenge.