The Unpassing

by Chia-Chia Lin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nefertari of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 10/25/2021
Journal Entry 1 by nefertari from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 25, 2021
A really interesting story of a family and the American Dream.

Released 2 yrs ago (10/26/2021 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Yorkshire!

Journal Entry 3 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 28, 2021
Arrived today - thank you again for sending =)

Journal Entry 4 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 15, 2022
Ok. A bit underwhelming. Oh, I am so harsh! But this didn't really grab me. I had been hoping for more Alaska, which is more a reflection on my expectations than the book itself. But instead it's a depressing tale of immigrants from Taiwan, who end up in Alaska, and it's left with so many loose ends I'm not really sure what happened to anyone in the end or what the point of it all was.

They struggle, as first two of the four kids, including our narrator, Gavin, contract meningitis, and the little girl Ruby dies. Then the father, who does some work creating septic tanks, gets sued because a little boy got really sick and they reckon there was a leak or something due to his shoddy work. Was that really the case? We'll never know. But there seems to be something wrong with a system that allows the family to sue him to beyond bankrupty, so that his children end up starving squatters. I guess this is the immigration dream taken to its ultimate nightmare.

Towards the end the son, the narrator notes that they don't belong anywhere, and I think you do get that feeling if you've lived abroad a long time. I only lived abroad a few years, but I remember going on a course and there was a guy from Portugal there, in his fifties maybe, who had lived in Sweden for decades, and he'd said that he still didn't feel like he fitted into Sweden, yet when he went to visit home he felt like a foreigner. Of course, these feelings may vary depending on your own attempts to integrate, and also the country and culture you moved to. But anyway, I remember something towards the beginning about a whale they found beached - living in the wrong place - and cheering when the tide came in and the whale was able to get away back to see.

I don't know what the point of this book was other that to feel a bit depressed.

Journal Entry 5 by Apechild at Catch a Penny Holiday Cottage in Greystonelees, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 3, 2022

Released 1 yr ago (9/3/2022 UTC) at Catch a Penny Holiday Cottage in Greystonelees, Scotland United Kingdom

Left on the bookshelf with a couple of other books at the holiday cottage.