Murder Most Festive

by Ada Moncrieff | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/20/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Book burble: CHRISTMAS EVE. 1938

The Westbury family and assorted friends have gathered for another legendary celebration at their beautiful country house. The champagne flows, the silverwear sparkles and upstairs the rooms are ready for their occupants.

But one bed will lie empty that night. On Christmas morning, David Campbell-Scott is found dead in the snow. There's a pistol beside him and only one set of foot prints.

Yet something doesn't feel right to amateur sleuth Hugh Graveson. Campbell-Scott had just returned from overseas with untold wealth — why would he kill himself? Hugh sets out to investigate...

MURDER MOST FESTIVE by ADA MONCRIEFF (2020) | ISBN: 9781529113297 (UK Ed PB) | Publisher: Vintage
Lovey stylish cover illustration by Bobby Evans, however, the first sentence of the book runs "...Westbury Manor, it's imposing turrets newly sprinkled in white..."
Hmm, turrets, typically circular to my knowledge and the lovely illustration here shows a central building supported on either side by a 'wing'...

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 22, 2021
Surprisingly, for this does not fight shy of quite deliberate literary verbosity, this is delivered with both a dark edge and a light touch. Gripping, slightly riotous, and wryly tongue-in-cheek this is a delicious homage to between the wars period mystery and suspense novels. Just the ticket for an entertaining Christmas read so I have a Festive Suprise plan for this I am rather pleased with — watch this space!
[Wed 20 — Fri 22 OCT 2021]

Moncrieff has A STAGE FOR DEATH coming out in 2022, that needs to be popped onto my wishlist!

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Already with it's intended recipient who is kindly holding off making a 'caught' journal entry till i have officially made a 'release' journal entry! Book 1 of an ADVENT CALENDAR OF BOOKCROSSING BOOKS SENT TO SOMERSET.

FESTIVE GREETINGS from rainbow3. ��😃

Journal Entry 4 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, July 22, 2022
An exceedingly late journaling of the parts of the Advent Calendar of Books received in December 2021. Apologies rainbow3, these have been awaiting journaling for ages, forgotten about, remembered again, forgotten again and only now have finally I got around to these!

I suspect this one may well not wait until the festive season before being read though.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, August 19, 2022
Deliberately read before the festive season so that I can use this in a box or as a festive RABCK.

I really liked the delightfully tongue firmly stuck in cheek attitude of this offering from a new author. The main character of Hugh is well set up as product of his time and the supporting cast spread their various delights throughout the pages. An easy and entertaining read for the festive season.

I did enjoy this cosy murder and can see it being used this coming season for the purpose already outlined.

Journal Entry 6 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, January 8, 2023
Released into the tender care of the Christmas Bookbox as it almost completes its festive round.