A Dog's Life

by Peter Mayle | Humor | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbuttonbrightwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 12/6/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingbuttonbrightwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, December 6, 2021
Once upon a time in Provence, Peter Mayle adopted a dog of uncertain origins and dubious hunting skills and gave him a name—Boy. Now he gives this canny canine a voice in an irresistible “memoir” that proves that the best vantage point for observing life may well be on all fours.

As Boy recounts his progress from an overcrowded maternal bosom to unchallenged mastery of the Mayle household, he tells us why dogs are drawn to humans (“our most convenient support system”) and chickens (“that happy combination of sport and nourishment”). We share in his amorous dalliances, his run-ins with French plumbers and cats, and in the tidbits (both conversational and edible) of his owners’ dinner parties. Enhanced by fifty-nine splendidly whimsical drawings by Edward Koren, A Dog’s Life gives us all the delights we expect from any book by Peter Mayle—pedigree prose, biting wit, and a keen nose for the fragrance of civilization—together with the insouciant wisdom of which only a dog (and probably only Peter Mayle’s dog) is capable.

I found this book on the discount shelves of a local used book store.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbuttonbrightwing at Oakwood Dog Park in Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, December 6, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (12/6/2021 UTC) at Oakwood Dog Park in Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Left "A Dog's Life" hanging on the front gate @ Oakwood Dog Park. #BookCrossing https://goo.gl/TdJ9Rb