Where Dreams Descend

by Janella Angeles | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 1250204364 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Moneta, Virginia USA on 10/15/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Moneta, Virginia USA on Friday, October 15, 2021

Won from a Goodreads.com giveaway.

Description:
In a city covered in ice and ruin, a group of magicians face off in a daring game of magical feats to find the next headliner of the Conquering Circus, only to find themselves under the threat of an unseen danger striking behind the scenes.

As each act becomes more and more risky and the number of missing magicians piles up, three are forced to reckon with their secrets before the darkness comes for them next.

The Star: Kallia, a powerful showgirl out to prove she’s the best no matter the cost

The Master: Jack, the enigmatic keeper of the club, and more than one lie told

The Magician: Demarco, the brooding judge with a dark past he can no longer hide

Where Dreams Descend is the startling and romantic first book in Janella Angeles’ debut Kingdom of Cards fantasy duology where magic is both celebrated and feared, and no heart is left unscathed.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at A Sweepstakes Winner, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 15, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/15/2021 UTC) at A Sweepstakes Winner, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Sent to the winner of the Colorful Sweepstakes (RED)!

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Edit:
Wanted to add my thoughts about the book. I did enjoy it...but not at first. The prose is so purple and over the top at first that it was really hard to get into. Some of that could also be that my outlook on life was not in a good place when I started reading this book. One of our dogs passed away in June and our second one was going downhill when I started this book and passed away shortly after starting it.

Needless to say, I had a really hard time for the first third of this book. But I think the flowery language (which sometimes I do like), plus there was a lot of things that you, as the reader, are kept in the dark about and even the main character doesn't know. It was frustrating and I might have stopped reading at this point if I didn't feel obligated to finish it since I won it from a giveaway. And I do feel it got better. And I did end up enjoying it. (There were some other newish writer issues.) I'm curious about some elements in book two as there are some things you still don't get answers to and the ending of book one ends very dramatically. How could it not! But, I don't feel any drive to read the second book. I think I'd just read spoilers to get the info I'm curious about.

Don't let my feelings color your enthusiasm for this book. After reading it, I read some reviews and there are a lot of positive ones...There are also ones similar to mine, especially about the beginning of the book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, October 19, 2021
I've never heard of this book, but it sounds very interesting! Thank you so much!