Just Pretend

by Tori Sharp | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/21/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 21, 2021
I found this softcover in this new-to-me Little Free Library in Norwich VT while dropping off some books of my own.

It's a slightly-fictionalized memoir-in-graphic-novel form about the author's life during the last year of middle school, dealing with her divorced parents' separate households, sibling issues (her brother's temper, her older sister's dance classes to which Tori is dragged by their mother as she doesn't want Tori to stay home alone), friendship ups and downs, and a lively fantasy world that she's putting on paper. It includes some scary bits - her brother and her father have each had an out-of-control moment resulting in bashing a hole in a wall, her father goes no-contact for weeks due to his own moods (this tendency was apparently a contributing factor to the divorce), and for a longish period her mother was shown as focusing on computer-solitaire over her own children. This is clearly a "Tori's-eye-view" of events, but her end notes suggest that she's talked about all this with her real-world family, and the events/moods/behaviors that seem the most troublesome do seem to have been balanced out: her father is very supportive of her fantasy-drawing, and later on her mother steps up, suggesting she was going through a depressive episode. While some of this is upsetting (I kept wanting to cast "Summon Family Therapist"), Tori herself seems to get along well enough, adjusting to her changing situations and attempting to keep contact with her friends - and to make new friends with common interests, a very good sign.

The end notes include the author's comments about how she turned her memories into a story, and have details on the practical elements of cartooning.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Holbrook Dr. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 26, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (9/26/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Holbrook Dr. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library on a beautiful day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 September Sapphire challenge. ***