My Name Is Why

by lemn sissay | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingkinediwing of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 9/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, September 16, 2021
Durham Bookfestival 2021 Big Read

At the age of seventeen, after a childhood in an adopted family followed by six years in care homes, Norman Greenwood was given his birth certificate. He learned that his real name was not Norman. It was Lemn Sissay. He was British and Ethiopian. And he learned that his mother had been pleading for his safe return to her since his birth. Here Sissay recounts his life story. It is a story of neglect and determination. Misfortune and hope. Cruelty and beauty. Sissay reflects on adoption, self-expression and Britishness, and in doing so explores the institutional care system, race, family and the meaning of home. Written with all the lyricism and power you would expect from one of the nation's best-loved voices, this moving, frank and timely memoir is the result of a life spent asking questions, and a celebration of the redemptive power of creativity.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, October 9, 2021
A difficult and uncomfortable read but yet also very poignant and important.I felt profoundly sorry for Lemn and the way he was treated so unfairly and ultimately unlawfully.
A powerful but difficult read

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Reserved for TheHappyHippy

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, January 23, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (1/24/2022 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

Going off to Bonnie Scotland to TheHappyHippy

Journal Entry 5 by TheHappyHippy at Lanark, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Received this book from Kinedi via the Bookcrossing forum. It's the first book I've ever received directly from another book crosser (I've yet to meet another in real life!) and can't wait to read this. I am braced though as I've been forewarned it's not a particularly easy read given his life experiences.

Journal Entry 6 by TheHappyHippy at Lanark, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 11, 2022
A beautifully written book. Absolutely stunning. I loved its raw honesty. A must read for anyone working in children's social care and it should be a compulsory read for care workers in children's homes. It'll be a book I'll buy again and again to pass on to friends and colleagues. Loved it.

Journal Entry 7 by TheHappyHippy at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 11, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (2/12/2022 UTC) at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom

Posted on to Daffodil-2 as a RABCK. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Best wishes xx

Journal Entry 8 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, February 14, 2022
Received in the post today from TheHappyHippy following a request in the Reading it Want it thread. Thanks very much. Also in the parcel was Not in the Flesh by Ruth Rendell.
I shall look forward to reading both books as soon as they fit into one of Plum-Crazy's monthly themes-see under Book Talk in the Forum.