The Midnight Library

by Matt Haig | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 9/15/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2021
kept seeing stuff about this book on my Instagram feed. And posts by the author which I enjoyed. When I came across a copy in a Little Free Library, I broke my own rules and brought it home. Later I found a second copy. I sent the better-looking one to my friend in Rhode Island and put this on the shelf to be read when I had time. My friend read it quickly and highly recommended it. I am putting together a book box of book-themed books, so I picked it up to read.

It is possible that if this book had come to me in another part of life it would not rate as highly on my list. I have read some of the negative reviews and I cannot disagree that the theme of what-ifs and alternate lives is well-trod ground, It's a Wonderful Life and all that. But I am a reader and the metaphor of a library works for me where a painting or a menu or video store would not. And I am a person who feels torn between the many paths diverging in the wood of my life and stuck in one spot unable to find one which will be the best life. And in the past year and half I have been wracked with guilt and regret and anxiety and loneliness and despair and confusion and I have contemplated ending it all. So Nora's journey to discover truths about herself which are both individual and universal and her discovery of the meaning of life and of her life spoke to me in ways it might not speak to someone else. I read some of the passages to my therapist as we were talking about the path forward for my own life and the shadow of the past because they were helpful. And I will definitely be recommending and rereading this book in the future.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, September 18, 2021

Released 4 mos ago (9/18/2021 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is off on adventures in the Bookish Book Box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Monday, September 27, 2021
This book was selected from the Bookish Book Box (in Memory of MaryZee) .

Journal Entry 4 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, November 3, 2021
The book begins when Nora is nine hours from attempting suicide. She eventually finds herself in a library that includes books that represent multitude lives that she could have lived based on choices she made. The best part for me was the character development. The growth Nora goes through was necessary and very well done. If you have ever questioned your life, you will appreciate this story. This gem is definitely worth the hype and one of my favorite books of the year.
I read this for PopSugar's 2021 reading challenge prompt: A magical realism book.
Reserved for HGG.

Journal Entry 5 by wingQueen72wing at Hobbs, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (11/24/2021 UTC) at Hobbs, New Mexico USA

HGG gift!

Journal Entry 6 by wingbamaforeverwing at Clanton, Alabama USA on Monday, November 29, 2021
Thank you so much Queen72. What a wonderful surprise!