Merman in My Tub Vol. 8

by Itokichi | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/5/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 5, 2021
I've enjoyed the previous volumes in this wacky series, starting with Volume 1, and decided to pick up this, the final volume, after spotting it at Barnes and Noble today.

It continues the 4-panel-strip humor about high school student Tatsumi and his apparently-permanent roommate Wakasa, a merman who has taken up residence in Tatsumi's bathtub, along with an assortment of other mer-people who wander in. While the strips are mostly episodic there are a few ongoing storylines. This collection picks up after the events of Volume 7.

An entertaining conclusion to the series, with some wry 4th-wall-breaking bits about the ways in which the artwork suggests a yaoi series despite the utter lack of any romances at all - er, well, leaving out Tatsumi's little sister Kasumi, who crushes on her brother and is crushed on by starfish-boy Goromaru. There are also some quips by the secondary characters as to their lack of page time. Other bits include Wakasa giving "how to be a mermaid" lessons to Kasumi when she gets a role in "The Little Mermaid," and a "Time Slip in My Tub" story in which the gang winds up in old Japan!

Oh, and there's a new character, Arawa-sensei, who seems to be a squid-person and who is held in awe by the others.

Tag line: "I keep thinking how nice it would be if these lively days never ended."

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. There's an anime as well, though it doesn't seem to have been dubbed in English yet.]

Released 4 mos ago (1/16/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Benson Park - 19 Kimball Hill Rd in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this chilly day, just ahead of a storm. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Clean Start for the New Year challenge. ***