The Black Dahlia

by James Ellroy | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/5/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 5, 2021
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Boxborough MA while dropping off some books of my own.

I've read a lot of non-fiction about the "Black Dahlia" case (including this one); it's one of the more bizarre and appalling murders out there, and one that's technically still unsolved, though some recent books have made a pretty good case against one suspect. Anyway, this is a novel based on that story.

However, I couldn't get into this; not quite sure why, as I like noir-ish tales, but the characters didn't grab me. There's plenty of gruesomeness, from the description of the real-life crime scene and autopsy to the fictional discovery of the killer (which itself is based on some theoretical solutions I've read of), and it looks to be a pretty in-depth portrayal of policework in '40s Los Angeles.

The book was adapted as a 2006 film. There's a TV Tropes page on the book and film, with some interesting tidbits.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, October 8, 2021

Released 1 wk ago (10/8/2021 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Crime Scene/Mystery bookbox (bookbox journal with list of choices and replacements here); the box will be on its way to its next stop soon.

*** Released for the 2021 Spook-tacular challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by waternixie at Everett, Washington USA on Thursday, October 14, 2021
From the Crime Scene bookbox.
I think this is speculative fiction about the Elizabeth Short case, which I know quite a lot about. I've already seen the movie of this novel, and also read some of Ellroy's other writings on the Short case, neither of which impressed me too much, so I'll pass this on.
My preferred speculative treatment of the Short case is True Confessions, a 1982 film with Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall, which is probably closer to what actually happened.