The Midnight Watch

by David Dyer | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by jeniwren of Pambula, New South Wales Australia on 8/15/2021
Journal Entry 1 by jeniwren from Pambula, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 15, 2021
Based on true events, The Midnight Watch is at once a heart-stopping mystery and a deeply knowing novel — frailty of men, the strength of women, the capriciousness of fate and the price of loyalty.

David Dyer's astonishing novel The Midnight Watch is based on the true story of the SS Californian, the ship that sawthe Titanic'sdistress rockets and yet, unfathomably, did nothing. A psychological thriller.

Sometimes the smallest of human failings can lead to the greatest of disasters. As the Titanic was sinking slowly in the wretchedly cold North Atlantic, she could see the lights of another ship on the horizon. She called for help by Morse lamp and the new Marconi telegraph machine, but there was no response. Just after midnight the Titanic began firing distress rockets.

The other ship, the Californian, saw these rockets but didn't come. Why not?

When the story of the disaster begins to emerge, it's a question that Boston American reporter John Steadman cannot let go. As soon as he lays eyes on the Californian's captain and second officer, he knows a story lurks behind their version of events. So begins his strange journey towards the truth. Haunted by the fifteen hundred who went to their deaths in those icy waters, and by the loss of his own baby son years earlier, Steadman must either find redemption in the Titanic's tragedy or lose himself.

Based on true events, The Midnight Watch is at once a heart-stopping mystery and a deeply knowing novel – about the frailty of men, the strength of women, the capriciousness of fate and the price of loyalty.

Journal Entry 2 by jeniwren at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 15, 2021

Released 2 yrs ago (8/16/2021 UTC) at Orange, New South Wales Australia

Wish list tag game recipient. I did have plans to read this before sending. However there are too many books needing my attention so sending on and I will read your thoughts with interest and maybe source another copy at a later date.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 21, 2021
thankyou so much for this wishlist title
i'll let you know how it goes (reads)

;)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLadyIndigowing at Orange, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 27, 2022
i've tried a couple of times to read this and in tagging amberc, i decided to give it another go .. another couple of go s truth be told .. i'm sure it is a good story but it wasn't holding my interest - something to do with the style i think

maybe it's something i could read on a lazy holiday when other reading aren't calling out with their deadlines

thanks for sharing jeniwren - sorry i couldn't do any better...

i'll post it now

happy reading
;)

Journal Entry 5 by wingLadyIndigowing at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Released 2 yrs ago (4/28/2022 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

happy reading

;)

Journal Entry 6 by amberC at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Arrived today. Thanks for tagging me. I'm hoping I'll be able to get into this one when I get to it.