The End of Men

by Christina Sweeney-Baird | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by bookworm76 of Chermside, Queensland Australia on 8/8/2021
Journal Entry 1 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 8, 2021
Set in a world where a virus stalks our male population, The End of Men is an electrifying and unforgettable debut from a remarkable new talent that asks: what would life truly look like without men?

Only men are affected by the virus; only women have the power to save us all.

The year is 2025, and a mysterious virus has broken out in Scotland--a lethal illness that seems to affect only men. When Dr. Amanda MacLean reports this phenomenon, she is dismissed as hysterical. By the time her warning is heeded, it is too late. The virus becomes a global pandemic--and a political one. The victims are all men. The world becomes alien--a women's world.

What follows is the immersive account of the women who have been left to deal with the virus's consequences, told through first-person narratives. Dr. MacLean; Catherine, a social historian determined to document the human stories behind the male plague; intelligence analyst Dawn, tasked with helping the government forge a new society; and Elizabeth, one of many scientists desperately working to develop a vaccine. Through these women and others, we see the uncountable ways the absence of men has changed society, from the personal--the loss of husbands and sons--to the political--the changes in the workforce, fertility and the meaning of family.

In The End of Men, Christina Sweeney-Baird creates an unforgettable tale of loss, resilience and hope (From Goodreads)

Released 1 yr ago (8/8/2021 UTC) at -- Nonspecific release zone - details in notes -- in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

I am taking this along to the next Brisbane Bookcrossing meetup. If not picked up I will leave somewhere

Journal Entry 3 by Mirfi at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 26, 2021
Picked up at the BookCrossing meet up at Roma Street Parklands

Released 7 mos ago (12/22/2021 UTC) at Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

I tagged keeta1 in the Australasian Wishlist tag game.
Posted today, so maybe it will arrive as the first read of 2022.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkeeta1wing at Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Thursday, January 20, 2022
Unfortunately not the first read for 2022 (the post from Australia to NZ seems to be very slow these days), but it is here now, so yay :)
Thanks so much for sending it Mirfi.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Monday, April 25, 2022
The premise for this story was good, especially considering the pandemic which has affected the world for the last couple of years. The writing/grammar wasn't that great though and I did find I was getting a bit bored towards the end.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkeeta1wing at Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (4/27/2022 UTC) at Whitianga, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand

Travelling to tigergirlnz :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingtigergirlnzwing at Napier, Hawkes Bay-Poverty Bay New Zealand on Saturday, April 30, 2022
The blurb is intriguing - thank you for this Wishlist book keeta1, it will sit on Mt TBR for a little while but I will get to it at some stage :D