Ordeal by Hunger

by George R. Stewart | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Atlanta, Georgia USA on 8/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Wednesday, August 4, 2021
I know this is a terrible story. I saw the American Experience documentary on PBS. But I didn't know about this book. Someone had just given it away to Goodwill and it was there on the shelves so I thought I'd investigate. I do not know this author George R. Stewart, an historian. He's written about other things I am interested in. This is a reprint of an old book, first published in 1936. It includes accounts from survivors at the end of Stewart's narrative.

From Amazon:

The tragedy of the Donner party constitutes one of the most amazing stories of the American West. In 1846 eighty-seven people -- men, women, and children -- set out for California, persuaded to attempt a new overland route. After struggling across the desert, losing many oxen, and nearly dying of thirst, they reached the very summit of the Sierras, only to be trapped by blinding snow and bitter storms. Many perished; some survived by resorting to cannibalism; all were subjected to unbearable suffering. Incorporating the diaries of the survivors and other contemporary documents, George Stewart wrote the definitive history of that ill-fated band of pioneers; an astonishing account of what human beings may endure and achieve in the final press of circumstance.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Atlanta, Georgia USA on Saturday, December 4, 2021
I don't know when I'll have the chance to read this so I've decided to bookcross it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA on Sunday, December 5, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (12/5/2021 UTC) at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA

Hello! This a gift from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. You don't have to join to comment.