The Gargoyle

by Andrew Davidson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/30/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 30, 2021
I found this ex-library hardcover in this Little Free Library in Boothbay Harbor, Maine while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

What a strange, unusual story... I enjoyed the different story-lines connecting through time, somewhat reminiscent of Cloud Atlas, and was enthralled with the drama and horror of the opening sequences, the accident and its aftermath. I did find Marianne Engel (whose name struck me as a truly groan-worthy pun, but I don't know if it was intended that way) hard to take - not just for her frighteningly intense obsession, which made more sense as the storylines were revealed, but because even at her best she seemed distant and uncomfortable. I know she wasn't there to please me (why am I hearing Frankie from "Rocky Horror" saying "I didn't make him for you"?), and her odd ways did seem to help pull our hero out of himself, but it wasn't comfortable reading.

And perhaps it wasn't supposed to be; one of my favorite quotes was this one from the narrator, trying to describe love: "...a tiny, jittery primate with eyes that are permanently peeled open in fear. For those of you who cannot quite picture a pygmy mouse lemur, imagine a miniature Don Knotts or Steve Buscemi wearing a fur coat." Now there's a romantic image!

Intriguing, offbeat, memorable.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel.]

Released 1 mo ago (8/1/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Frekey's Dairy Freeze in Concord, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]