The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

by Michael Chabon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/28/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2021
I found this softcover in my Little Free Library in Nashua NH, and was pleased to have another release copy. I first read it many years ago.

For some reason I'm always surprised to find that I actually *like* a book that's (a) extremely popular and (b) a Pulitzer Prize winner. Must be a sort of snobbery on my part - "I like weird books that nobody else likes so if everybody likes this one it must not be for me," or something like that. Anyway, I was a little dubious about "Kavalier & Clay," but was intrigued by the comic-book-industry background and the WWII setting, so I tucked in. And... it's good! (Surprise!) It's funny, and stark, and informative, lively and bittersweet and quirky. Loved the characters, enjoyed the inserted comic-book-plot chapters (although some of them had me going for a bit before I figured them out), desperately wanted things to work out for our heroes.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (7/28/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, New Searles Rd [OBCZ] in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this back in my Little Free Library now that it's registered; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Seeking Septads challenge. ***