Mexican Gothic

Registered by wingReetPetitewing of Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/19/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2021
If you have picked up this book, thank you for visiting the website. Please take a moment to let us know you have the book - then everyone who has had it previously will know where it is! Then post a review when you've read it, and pass it on to someone else when you've finished it. If you join BookCrossing, you, too, can see where it goes next...

Journal Entry 2 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 20, 2021
The acclaimed author of Gods of Jade and Shadow returns with a mesmerising feminist re-imagining of Gothic fantasy, in which a young socialite discovers the haunting secrets of a beautiful old mansion in 1950s Mexico.

Posted to nefertari

Journal Entry 3 by nefertari at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 20, 2021
Thank you so much for sending this, which arrived safely this afternoon. I've heard so much about this so I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by nefertari at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2021
What a brilliantly creepy book! Noemi, a socialite in Mexico City, is sent to visit her sick cousin Catalina, living with her new husband Virgil in a rural mansion, after a concerning letter from Catalina arrives with Noemi’s father.

What follows is a compelling story of weirdness and horror, which keeps on giving until the very end. Moreno-Garcia manages to create and maintain a sinister atmosphere and tension, and her descriptions are definitely gruesome!

One of the things I especially liked was the fact that the author has written this with the canon of gothic fiction in mind and flipped some of those well worn ideas around.

Thank you again to ReetPetite for sending this. It will be travelling to Apechild very soon.

Released 2 mos ago (7/29/2021 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Apechild in York. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 30, 2021
Arrived in the post today - many thanks again for posting on to me =)

Journal Entry 7 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 2, 2021
Creepy 1950s gothic horror set in Mexico. Set in a Mexico I hadn't really imagined - up in the mountains with pine forests, lots of atmospheric mist and torrential rain. Our heroine is Noemi, a rich party girl from Mexico city. Her cousin married last year to a strange English family who live at their abandoned/shut up silver mine up in the mountains, and they start getting very odd letters from her. Father sends Noemi off for a visit to find out what is going on with Catalina.

She arrives at a crumbling mansion in the misty mountains, populated by a silent, arrogant English family - well descended from the English - who sneer down their noses at everyone, are intensely unwelcoming to guests and have an unsettling interest in eugenics. Catalina, the cousin, seems to be drugged out of her head, and Noemi is rarely permitted to see her. The longer she stays, the more she learns about the family's miserable history on the mountain and all the tragedies that have beset them - and yet they all stay there, living in one another's pockets and being utterly miserable. I won't write about what is going on - it's an interesting premise, a bit natural world sci fi and rather creepy. I have to admit when they mentioned shipping lots of earth over from England for the roses, I did think, aye up - vampires!

I suppose the gothic elements, such as the weak women being bullied and tormented by big arrogant men are there - just consider weak Catalina and her beautiful yet utterly lacking in empathy husband Virigl. He is vile. Although he veered into the pantomime villian too much for me. He always seemed to be skipping in delighting in tormenting people with a wicked grin on his face and explaining things away. In general I find this is where books can fall down, when they have this great plot and solution, but the villians feel the need to explain everything away for you. In a twist though, the gothic formula gets turned on its head, and it's actually the female, Noemi, who rescues the weak man, Francis, from the torment. Although how weak is Francis? Given they're all raised in this house and take it all for granted that this is how the world is, he seems to be the only one with the capacity to think outside the box and wonder if it might be wrong. And Noemi.... a curious heroine who saves the day, although there's a bit too much arm folding and stropping at times.
I did enjoy this book I just think more could have been made of the plot and the atmosphere rather than Noemie being taken back and forth from her room for a large part of the book, then all the solution being thrown at you in a mad rush at the end.

Released 1 mo ago (9/17/2021 UTC) at Nether Poppleton Little Book Exchange in Poppleton , North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I left this book with several others at the Poppleton Little Book Exchange this morning (also took 3 other books away with me).