Lockdown

by Peter May | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/13/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 13, 2021
The Works had an offer on...

Journal Entry 2 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2021
Not his best, but given current events, not a bad read, and a bit of escapism. Yes, it could always be worse.
May wrote this about 15 years ago, researching a type of avian flu which has an 80% kill rate - yep, we're talking scarier than covid. His publishers thought the concept was silly and so it was shelved. And then for some strange reason (wonder what that was) last year it was decided it was all right for publishing. So, there's a flu breakout, it's nasty, millions are going to die and London is in total lockdown, curfews, military law the lot. Just London though where it's broken out, from what I can gather not the rest of the country. Which is fine for fiction, but in reality that would never work. I remember the chaos we saw on the news at the train stations when they said we were going into lockdown and a travel ban was coming in to force. But anyway....

This is the backdrop. Jack MacNeil, who seems to be May's steadfast police detective, is a highlander estranged from parents with a broken marriage, a child and is disillushioned with his job. In fact he only has 24 hours left before his resignation comes into force. And one last case pops up. An emergency hospital is being constructed, and overnight the bones of a child in a bag are dumped into the foundations being constructed. And so a murder hunt is on, whilst the city is in lockdown, whilst the flu is stalking them all, and indeed the people involved in the murder seem keen to keep under wraps.

Most of the investigation is done in May's usual calm, atmospheric way and it is a good read. I found the ending tumbled into a cliched standard murder mystery thing, with the "bad dude" virtually cackling and twiddling his evil mustache whilst correcting MacNeil's miscomprehensions and explaining the full extent of his dastardly plan. I think endings are a hard one to get right in murder mysteries. The mad dash pas the famous sights of London also made it a bit of a twee Hollywood style finish, as well as rescueing the girl and well... the hint at the very end as to what would happen. Sad? Realistic? And did he survive? We'll never know.

Journal Entry 3 by Apechild at Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/12/2021 UTC) at Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

Posting out to a fellow bookcrosser - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by imeretoo at Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 15, 2021
Looking forward to reading it and will re-release on it's travels soon.

Journal Entry 5 by imeretoo at Wild Place in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/21/2021 UTC) at Wild Place in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

Sent to a fellow Book Crosser who had it on her Wish list.
Hope you enjoy reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, November 5, 2021
Arrived safely. Thank you so much!