Tokyo Ueno Station

by Yu Miri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/11/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 11, 2021
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Carlisle MA while dropping off some books of my own. It's a low-key, gentle, often poignant novel, at first seeming to be the mix of nostalgia and travel-observations of its narrator as he wanders the Tokyo neighborhood near Ueno Station or recalls scenes from his early life. But it becomes apparent that our narrator has come down in life, spending his later years homeless - and has also passed on, yet lingers on the scenes of his happier (and sadder) years... including his vision of the fate of his adult granddaughter as she attempts to flee a tidal wave. The descriptions of the city, of the treatment of homeless people, and of the ways in which one person's life can reflect so much, all combine to form a touching story. It's also quite thought-provoking, especially now; the novel touches on the relocation of homeless encampments to make the city look more appealing for its bid for the 2020 Olympics...

Released 1 mo ago (7/27/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Amethyst Farm in Amherst, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this new-to-me Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics challenge. ***