The Bear Went Over the Mountain

by William Kotzwinkle | Humor | This book has not been rated.
Registered by winghaahaahaa98wing of Watertown, Massachusetts USA on 7/8/2021
Journal Entry 1 by winghaahaahaa98wing from Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, July 8, 2021
To be released as part of a side box affiliated with the WILD THINGS bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by winghaahaahaa98wing at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 8, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (7/8/2021 UTC) at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 3 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Thursday, July 22, 2021
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, haahaahaa98...for this book I look forward to reading that arrived in a box of DAY BRIGHTENING BOOKS related to "Wild Things" that was delivered to my door earlier today.❤❌⭕ I have some emotional “waves” that have been lapping at my shores as August approaches and my mind turns to several Angels in Heaven...and the oppressive humidity from this year's Summer Monsoon...the last two years have been “Nonsoons” with no rain...added to the heat hasn't been helping...although I AM exTREMEly GRATEful that our State is finally receiving some much needed rain that I LOVE that will help the land and air Firefighting crews with the out of control Wildfires and aide with the exceptional drought conditions. Could you please PM me your address? Blessings to you and yours, my Dear BC Friend.🙏

Journal Entry 4 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, March 6, 2022
Thank you again, haahaahaa98🤗(Could you please PM your address to me?) ...for sending this book by an author I believe also wrote "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" that I have chosen to read for:

booklady331's 2022 KTM (Keep Them Moving) Challenge

booklady331's 2022 The ‘THE” reading challenge

CathrineB's [2022] Authors A-Z – reading challenge

earthcaroleanne's Reduce MTBR 2022 - March

NancyNova's 2022 States Challenge Thread (The paperback book's setting is in MAINE, and...per the inside of the back book cover, the author "lives with his wife, the writer Elizabeth Gundy, on an island off the coast of Maine.")

Plum-crazy's DON'T KNOW WHAT TO READ? THE THEME FOR MARCH IS HERE TO HELP!..."fairy tales" & "Nursery Rhymes" Theme

T02S03B11D20's March 2022 Pages Read Challenge

From Amazon...

Once upon a time in rural Maine, a big black bear found a briefcase under a tree. Hoping for food, he dragged it into the woods, only to find that all it held was the manuscript of a novel. He couldn't eat it, but he did read it, and decided it wasn't bad. Borrowing some clothes from a local store, and the name Hal Jam from the labels of his favorite foods he headed to New York to seek his fortune in the literary world.

Then he took America by storm.

The Bear Went Over the Mountain is a riotous, magical romp with the buoyant Hal Jam as he leaves the quiet, nurturing world of nature for the glittering, moneyed world of man. With a pitch-perfect comic voice and an eye for social satire to rival Swift or Wolfe, bestselling author William Kotzwinkle limns Hal's hilarious journey to New York, Los Angeles, and the great sprawling country in between, where a bear makes good despite his animal instincts, and where money-hungry executives see not a hairy beast with a purloined novel, but a rough-hewn, soulful, media-perfect nature guy who just might be the next Hemingway.

By turns sidesplittingly funny, stingingly ironic, and unexpectedly tender, The Bear Went Over the Mountain captures the zeitgeist of the 1990s dead-on, in a delicious bedtime story for grown-ups.

👉 And now that I have the book physically in my hands, from the back of the book (who ever wrote the Amazon "version" surely infringed on copyright issues...in my humble opinion) I read:

"William Kotzwinkle, the beloved author of The Fan Man and ET: The Extraterrestrial, is in top comic form in this outrageous and uproarious parable featuring Hal Jam - a big black bear who finds a manuscript under a tree in the Maine woods, dons a suit and tie, and heads off to the big city to seek his fame and fortune. What follows is a riotous magical romp with the buoyant Hal Jam as he leaves the quiet, nurturing world of the forest for the glittering and corrupt world of humans. New York and Hollywood and all that lies between serve as an expansive palette for Kotzwinkle's wickedly funny satiric brush. The Bear Went Over the Mountain skewers our age's obsession with money and fame in a delicious bedtime story for grown-ups!"

✨ Chosen for its genre in hopes of some medicinal laughter...only seven pages in at this point, what would be a chapter if the book labeled its divisions as such...I am HOOKED!!!🤣*

*And the further I got into the book...the less I enjoyed it, albeit I was determined to finish it.

Journal Entry 5 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Friday, March 11, 2022
The first chapter of this book categorized on BC as "HUMOR", and described as a "delicious bedtime story for adults" on its back cover, made me laugh and had me "hooked" with its concept of a bear finding a manuscript under a tree in the woods and deciding to head to town with it. Unfortunately, from the second chapter on, I found this book to be less and less desirable, and it would not be a one I would recommend to anyone I know...although, I realize there are those in the world who might really enjoy it, especially since it does seem to check off all the boxes required per the definition of SATIRE; the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices. The book not only follows the adventures of the bear, but also the downward spiral of the once prominent college professor who wrote the manuscript the bear carried off, which was actually a rewrite of a first manuscript he plagiarized from another published author that burned in a fire. While the fact that throughout the entire book the other characters completely misinterpret what the bear say does provide a great deal of humor at times, the underlying repetitive nature of the various incidents the bear experiences, together with the author's crass approach and use of vulgar language, derogatory remarks towards other human beings, descriptive sex acts, and gratuitous beastiality was not amusing, and made me wonder why Jim Henson had optioned the screenplay, and how it would differ had he had the opportunity to produce it...RIP.

👉 RESERVED for booklady331's US ONLY: NF VBB Round 14: Beginning — new participants welcome https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/518393