The Randolph Carter Tales

by H. P. Lovecraft | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/6/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 6, 2021
This handsome hardcover came from a boxed set that I got from my sister in New York, after she'd done some decluttering of her bookshelves. I've read these stories before and was glad of another release copy of Lovecraft's work.

I admit that the Dream Cycle is perhaps my least favorite of the various Mythos sub-genres; in general the stories tend to have less in the way of plot than his other works, focusing on wildly bizarre - and sometimes really lovely - imagery, with some terrifying bits here and there as well. The concepts of a dream-world with its own geography and reality, and of the possibility that one might die in one world while living on in the other, are among the elements here, sometimes enticing, sometimes poignant.

My favorite story in this volume is "The Unnameable," a nice little tale in which Lovecraft addresses (whether with humorous intent or not I can't say) the question of whether something really can be indescribable or "unnameable". Since so many of his stories end with someone gasping out "the horror - words cannot describe...." I found that rather droll! I also find that this story gets creepier the more I read it.

[There's a TV Tropes page on Lovecraft and his work, with some entertaining tidbits.]

The other books from the set:

The Dunwich Horror and Other Tales
Stories of the Dreamlands
At The Mountains of Madness and Other Stories
Macabre Stories
Call of Cthulhu and Other Stories

Released 1 mo ago (12/8/2021 UTC) at -- somewhere in Francestown (see notes) in Francestown, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on an atmospherically rusty iron railing around the Bixby plot at the back of an old cemetery (New Boston Road cemetery, or Francestown Cemetery #2 at the FindAGrave site) at roughly 146 New Boston Rd/NH-136. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 What's In A Name challenge. ***