The Stone Carvers

by Jane Urquhart | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbuttonbrightwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 9/22/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingbuttonbrightwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 22, 2021
An intricate, passionately crafted novel chronicles the involvement of a stonecarver from Canada named Klara Becker as she participates in creating a monument in Paris to the eleven thousand Canadians that died in World War I.

In 1867 a good-natured Bavarian priest, is sent by God and mad King Ludwig to the wilds of North America. Soon the backwoods are transformed into a parish and the settlers into a congregation, and Joseph Becker, a woodcarver, meets his future wife. Several decades later, Joseph Becker teaches his astounding carving skills to his grandchildren. One of them, Klara, shows exceptional talent and has a surfeit of what the local nuns call "a fondness for men's work." Untamed, she falls in love with an Irish boy, Eamon O'Sullivan, only to have him leave to fight in the Great War . . .

I found this book on the discount shelves of a local used book store.

Released 3 wks ago (9/26/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library #44601 (Milepost 56 - Rt. 12) in Avon, North Carolina USA

Left @ Greater Kinnakeet Shores Little Free Library #44601 (Milepost 56 - Rt. 12) Avon NC