Aladdin's Lamp

by John Freely | History |
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 6/20/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Sunday, June 20, 2021
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Aladdin’s Lamp is the fascinating story of how ancient Greek philosophy and science began in the sixth century B.C. and, during the next millennium, spread across the Greco-Roman world, producing the remarkable discoveries and theories of Thales, Pythagoras, Hippocrates, Plato, Aristotle, Euclid, Archimedes, Galen, Ptolemy, and many others. John Freely explains how, as the Dark Ages shrouded Europe, scholars in medieval Baghdad translated the works of these Greek thinkers into Arabic, spreading their ideas throughout the Islamic world from Central Asia to Spain, with many Muslim scientists, most notably Avicenna, Alhazen, and Averroës, adding their own interpretations to the philosophy and science they had inherited. Freely goes on to show how, beginning in the twelfth century, these texts by Islamic scholars were then translated from Arabic into Latin, sparking the emergence of modern science at the dawn of the Renaissance, which climaxed in the Scientific Revolution of the seventeenth century. "

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, June 30, 2021
I liked this book in general but I'm a bit fed up with blurbs that are misleading! I chose this book because it was supposed to focus on how the Muslim scholars and scientists on Middle Ages translated and spread throughout the Islamic world the ideas and knowledge of the Ancient Greeks/Grecoroman world, they flourished these ideas and knowledge further and then how on the 12th century these texts by Islamic scholars were translated from Arabic to Latin, thus greatly contributing towards modern science at the dawn of Renaissance -and consequently to the "Scientific Revolution" of the 17th century.

In reality thought, all the above are only a small part of the book which is a history of science and philosophy from antiquity till recent times, mentioning and analysing many important personalities, their work and their influences or potential influences/resources which is a different subject matter than how these works were saved and transmitted. I'm not sure how an author would completely separate the two topics, but still...

Some chapters were weaker than others. I personally enjoyed the dusting off of my knowledge about the Ancient World, Byzantium, Renaissance Europe, Ottoman Empire, but I mostly appreciated the chapters about the Middle East, Maghreb, Andalusia, Samarkand 's history and people, some of which stuff I was familiar with, much of it not! Towards the end, the author adopts a more personal tone and the narration derails even more and I got a feeling that John Freely didn't know how to write an epilogue to his book.

All that said, maybe this is a somehow heavy read to indulge in one go and it's not flawless, but for sure it's very interesting!

Released 1 mo ago (7/30/2021 UTC) at Πασαλιμάνι - Pasalimani in Piraeus - Πειραιάς, Attica Greece

Released somewhere on Pasalimani, Piraeus.

Good Luck little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!