The Boy with the Topknot

by Sathnam Sanghera | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingawaywithfairieswing of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 6/17/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 17, 2021
From Amazon.co.uk:
"It's 1979, I'm three years old, and like all breakfast times during my youth it begins with Mum combing my hair, a ritual for which I have to sit down on the second-hand, floral-patterned settee, and lean forward, like I'm presenting myself for execution."

For Sathnam Sanghera, growing up in Wolverhampton in the eighties was a confusing business. On the one hand, these were the heady days of George Michael mix-tapes, Dallas on TV and, if he was lucky, the occasional Bounty Bar. On the other, there was his wardrobe of tartan smocks, his 30p-an-hour job at the local sewing factory and the ongoing challenge of how to tie the perfect top-knot.

And then there was his family, whose strange and often difficult behaviour he took for granted until, at the age of twenty-four, Sathnam made a discovery that changed everything he ever thought he knew about them. Equipped with breathtaking courage and a glorious sense of humour, he embarks on a journey into their extraordinary past - from his father's harsh life in rural Punjab to the steps of the Wolverhampton Tourist Office - trying to make sense of a life lived among secrets.

Released 1 mo ago (6/18/2021 UTC) at Book Face, Macarthur Square in Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia

Left at the book exchange.

Release #20 for the 2021 Movie Books Challenge.
Release #34 for the 2021 Allergic to A Challenge.