Wakenhyrst

by Michelle Paver | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingTanamowing of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 6/15/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingTanamowing from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2021
In Edwardian Suffolk, a manor house stands alone in a lost corner of the Fens, a glinting wilderness of water whose whispering reeds guard ancient secrets. Maud is a lonely child, growing up without a mother, ruled by her repressive father.
When he finds a painted medieval devil in a graveyard, unhallowed forces are awakened.
Maud's battle has begun. She must survive a world haunted by witchcraft, the age-old legends of her beloved fen - and the even more nightmarish demons of her father's past.
Spanning five centuries, Wakenhurst is a darkly gothic thriller about murderous obsession and one girl's longing to fly free.

Journal Entry 2 by wingTanamowing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 22, 2021
I've always been fascinated by fenland so a gothic tale set in such a land was right up my street and I loved this novel.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTanamowing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, August 27, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (8/28/2021 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

This book is going in the Just a Word bookring and is on its way to Bookworm-lady.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, September 19, 2021
And here it is, with its travelling companion for the Just One Word bookring.
It looks promising; I will make my choice shortly. :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, September 21, 2021
I am quite intrigued by this one, so I am keeping it. I read"Dark Matter" by the same writer, and found it a fascinating read...