Burnt Offerings (Valancourt 20th Century Classics)

by Robert Marasco | Horror |
ISBN: 9781941147702 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/13/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 13, 2021
I got this softcover from an online seller. It's a recent re-issue of the 1973 novel that inspired the 1976 film starring Oliver Reed. (I enjoyed the movie, although Reed's co-star Karen Black is not one of my favorite actresses - something about her performances feels nails-on-a-blackboard to me, not sure why. Given the way this story turned out, though, it was pretty good casting!)

Later: The film turns out to have been a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel, with only a couple of noticeable swerves. I did enjoy the novel very much, as it added lots of little atmospheric touches, including the more subtle hints as to just how WRONG the house - seemingly so perfect - would turn out to be. It also highlighted the strains in the relationship of the main characters, with the wife's cleaning-and-polishing compulsion already so extreme that she waxed the floors to danger-levels of slipperiness despite having an active young child in the house...

The vision of getting a great deal on a country house for a summer escape from the hot, crowded, noisy city makes for a tempting premise, though the last-minute revelation that the house came complete with an elderly lady in a remote room who would be staying for the duration would have been a deal-breaker for me!

The eerie ways in which the house (or its resident genius loci, if that's what it was) gradually drew on its new guests' blood and thoughts and life-force to restore itself became more and more obvious, but it seems the trap was sprung when they agreed to stay in the first place, and any later attempts to escape were fruitless - if heart-wrenching. Nifty little chiller!

[There's a short TV Tropes page on the film, with some interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (6/23/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library near the playground in the park on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the [a href="https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/574619"]2021 Allergic to A[/a] challenge. ***

*** Released for the [a href="https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/572442"]2021 Movie challenge[/a]. ***