Diary of a Young Naturalist

by Dara McAnulty | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/12/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 12, 2021
This was on offer on the father's day stand. I'm not a father but I couldn't resist it for myself =)

Journal Entry 2 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 15, 2024
This was a bit of a grower. I have to admit when I started it I wasn't keen on the poetic over-writing. Whether it lessened or I grew a bit deaf to it, I am not sure, but I did like it by the end.

This is the diary of a year in the life of 14 year old Northern Irish teen Dara McAnulty. Who is autistic. He mentions it a few times. Fine, whatever, but I wish he wasn't so focused on being defined by his diagnosis and would just get on and live. Most of the diary is about him experiencing nature being out on family walks, or in his garden, surrounding area... there's also teenage angst about moving house to a new town and school (which turns out to be a blessing as he escapes the bullies and is accepted at his new school - I don't think a lot of people realise the damage bullying can do), going out on projects or demos in Scotland and London - he is not an average teenager and gets a lot of opportunities many don't - and also anxiety about climate change and destruction of nature. He is the Greta Thurnburg generation, but that isn't exclusive to them, and I do get that. There are days when it feels it has all gone too far and it's hopeless. So I try to focus on the little bits I can do to help, which is really all I can do.
Having read this I am even more convinced how Natural History ought to be taught as a proper subject at schools. How can people worry or care about something being in danger or even being lost if they don't know it exists in the first place, or can't put a name to it?

It's all right, although the style isn't my favourite nature writing. Having said that I suspect he's still to grow into his own style. But for me, my favourite nature writers are people such as Nan Shepherd and her wonderful Living Mountain, Roger Deakin, Nina Burton, Stephen Rutt...

Journal Entry 3 by Apechild at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Taking with some others for the book buffet table at the Tampere bookcrossing convention this year! Hope this finds a new reader.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkirjakkowing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024
Picked up from the book buffet. Another book brought by Apechild, whom I've met in York nine years ago. Looks like an interesting read.