Cat's Eye

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winghaahaahaa98wing of Watertown, Massachusetts USA on 6/11/2021
Journal Entry 1 by winghaahaahaa98wing from Watertown, Massachusetts USA on Friday, June 11, 2021
Cat's EyeCat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Margaret Atwood's writing never ceases to impress in this mostly linear, chronological, 1st-person rendering of the life of the main character, a painter named Elaine Risley. Through her eyes we witness her recollections of childhood friends: their activities, feelings, their treatments of one another. She also relates the delicate, though ultimately benign, relationships that she has with her parents, her dad an entomologist at a local university. The narrator relates all this with an incredible level of perceptiveness - in particular her observations about gender issues are most revelatory and insightful.

The writing is clear and lucid, targeting at raw truths about the nature of childhood, of being female, of aging, of fraught anxieties between friendships and relationships. Atwood reminds us how cruel kids can be.

Somewhat surprisingly, the main character later in life (around high school onwards) gains something of the "upper hand" with her friend Cordelia, who earlier in life seemed to act somewhat abusive to her.

My only 2 critiques of the writing are as follows. The language describing Elaine's artwork seemed a bit stagnant, as if it was unclear why so much space was devoted to these descriptions in the first place. Also, the pacing of narration of later parts of the life, to me, seemed too fast. Neither of these issues detracts from what is otherwise richly perceptive and revelatory novel.

Journal Entry 2 by winghaahaahaa98wing at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, June 11, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (6/11/2021 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Mailed as part of a RABCK in the US Tag Game 2020. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, June 17, 2021
Thanks for sending this wishlist book. Look forward to reading it!