It's All Greek to Me

by Charlotte Higgins | Other |
ISBN: 9781906021597 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingDelphi_Readerwing of Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on 6/8/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingDelphi_Readerwing from Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, June 8, 2021
This book starts its journey with BookCrossing from Delphi, Greece
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"With everything from Achilles' heel to Pythagoras' theorem, from Oedipus and his complex to Margaret Thatcher and Thucydides, this book aims to unlock the richness of the Greek world and show just how profoundly it has informed our own. Consider the way we think: about right and wrong, about the nature of beauty, goodness, and truth. What, in the end, it is to be a human being amid the immensity of the universe. All this, and more, we have learned from the ancient Greeks. They moulded the basic disciplines and genres in which we still organise thought: from poetry to drama, from politics to philosophy and history to medicine. Packed with useful cribs - history timelines; a who's who; a guide to the Greek gods; a map for those who struggle to know their Lemnos from their Lesbos - It's All Greek To Me is a bluffer's guide in one sense, that will give you a helping hand around Greek democracy, the Persian Wars, or the Parthenon. But it is much more than that; it is a book that aims to bring ancient Greece back into the mainstream of life - where it belongs. "

~~~~~~To the person who found this book:~~~~~~

If you have not already done so, please make a journal entry so we know this book has found a new home. Drop a few lines on where and how you found this book and what you thought of it. You don't need to join BookCrossing and you can remain completely anonymous. However, I encourage you to join so that you can follow this book's future travels. It's fun and free, and your personal information will never be shared or sold.

This book is now yours, and you can keep it if you choose, although I would love you to read and then share it. You can pass it on someone you know or release it once again in the wild, leaving it on a park bench, a phone booth, a hostel lobby...wherever you think it's suitable for the book to continue it's journey. If you pass it along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, June 18, 2021
"...this book aims to unlock the richness of the Greek world and show just how profoundly it has informed our own."

Well, I'm not very sure if actually that's what this book is about or if it achieved its aim. I found it somehow fragmental, quite repetitive on some stuff and too bare-bones or biased or spartan (to use a word related on the book) on other stuff. It is much shorter than it seems to be at first sight too. The last 50 pages or so feature a map of Greece, the Greek alphabet, index of names, a very very limited collection of Greek words/phrases used in English and their meaning/origin, suggestions for further reading, aknowledgements etc. There are some typos too.

All that said, I kind of enjoyed this book and found it refreshing. Not original and not impressive to this Greek reader, but I liked the enthusiasm of the author and her efforts to explain/mention at least some basic elements of Greek culture to a random reader. Her attempts on humor were OΚ-ish too. I guess "It's All Greek To Me" might be more interesting to someone who has a very limited knowledge about the subject matter and wants to learn a little bit more without been heavy on the subject.
6½/10

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at -- Somewhere in town in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (7/28/2021 UTC) at -- Somewhere in town in Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

Released near the entrance of the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, below the Parthenon in Athens.

Good Luck little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Mykonos - Μύκονος, Cyclades Greece on Thursday, July 29, 2021
Hi, i dropped the book today in a little village in the North of Mykonos. Many people who are on a cruise go there (so did i).