So Far from the Bamboo Grove

by Yoko Kawashima Watkins | Children's Books |
ISBN: 006234711X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 6/8/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 8, 2021
Got this at the library book sale.

When life became dangerous for the occupying Japanese living in North Korea towards the end of WWII, Yoko's mother escaped with her two daughters, while the fate of her husband and son was unknown.

This memoir gave me insight of a less-known prespective; I've read quite a few memoirs about Asians living under Japanese occupation, but this one is from the opposite end, the child of a Japanese occupier. The hardship is the same: hiding from enemies, foraging for food, losing loved ones. While the Koreans who raped young Japanese girls were probably revenging what was done to their women, for those girls there was no justification. It just made me sad that ordinary citizens, whichever side of the war they are on, are always the ones who suffer.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at Little Free Library - Fuchs Park in Miami, Florida USA on Friday, June 11, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (6/10/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library - Fuchs Park in Miami, Florida USA

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by dolphinzz at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2021
I traveled to South Korea 2 years ago and that was the first time I heard about the Japanese occupation of Korea. So I'm interested to learn more about it.

Review: I think it was an interesting book to hear the perspective of a Japanese person in Korea during the Japanese occupation. I'm not sure how accurate this is since the author wrote this book years after having experienced. I researched this book and little and learned how controversial it is. However, even if I shouldn't rely on this book for understanding history, I do think this book does a good job at portraying a young girl's life during war which is what the author was trying to do.