Kushiel's Chosen

by Jacqueline Carey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingadrienne10wing of Seattle, Washington USA on 5/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, May 02, 2004
Of course I picked up the second in the Kushiel's Trilogy. It picks up one year after Kushiel's Dart left off. I am about a quarter of the way through it up on this registration and I am enjoying it just as much as Kushiel's Dart. Again, the plot is complex, filled with politics and intrigue, as well as Phedre's visits with patrons. My only complaint so far is that it is only alluded to that Jocelin and Phedre's relationship continued on a physical level. There are no physical scenes between them, which I would love. And, this revelation makes Phedre's choice to return to the Service of Naamaah more difficult to accept. Of course, I wil update this journal when I finish and before I send it on for the ring.

Update 5/17: I finished the story last night. Very intricate with lots of adventure. I merely had to be patient for Phedre and Joscelin. Phedre is maturing in this book. I'm not very good at following the timeline, so figure her in her mid-20s for this course.

Carey does seem to have a propensity to bring in lots of different characters, give you two specific characters you love, and then kill them both off at the same time. One friend told me this was a little much in the first book. I'm not sure how she took it in the second.

Unfortunately, I need to read a ring book and a chemistry book for research before I can start Kushiel's Avatar, which takes place 10 years after the end of this book.

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, May 02, 2004
Bookray Information:

The names of the Bookcrossers who are in this ring are listed below. If you are interested please PM me with your location and shipping preference.

adrienne10 [Nebraska, USA]
az628 [Pennsylvania, USA]

BountifulPots [Kansas, USA]
Eucalia [California, USA]
snowmyst [West Virgina, USA]

Some guidelines to help the book on its journey:

1 On receiving the book write a journal entry so we can all keep track of where it is.
2 I will note people who already have had the book and its current location in colored type.
3 The person with the book PM's the next one on the list for their address.

Thank you so much for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by wingadrienne10wing at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, May 31, 2004
Release planned for Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at USPS in Bookring, postal release USA.

Sending onto Hexa. I know you enjoyed the first, and I hope you enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 4 by Hexa on Tuesday, June 08, 2004
Thanks adrienne10, lovely to get the sequel so soon after reading the first one. In true BC style, several ring books have all arrived at once, but I'll get to this as soon as I can (I don't think I'll be able to resist for long!).

Journal Entry 5 by Hexa on Tuesday, June 15, 2004
Another fabulous tale, intricate and exquisite and gripping. The emotions run deep in these books (which can be unfortunate when reading on the tube and getting very involved!). There were times when I thought some of the details were unecessary, but they always seem to prove important in the end. Mind you, after the traumas of this book, I dread to think what will happen to Phedre in the final one! I love the alternate world which is the setting, all of the countries are so richly drawn, as are the characters.

Sending on to WistfulDragon this week.

Journal Entry 6 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 19, 2004
I'm really looking forward to reading this! Unfortunately it is 4th on my TBR, with two hefty ones and a quickie before it, but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 7 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 02, 2004
Even better than the first one! Having established Phedre's particular talents it wasn't necessary to detail her assignations so much, so it was possible to explore other areas in more detail. Once again we meet fascinating cultures, viscious intrigues, and see mistakes made and overcome, all woven together by a delightful heroine. Wonderful!

Journal Entry 8 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2004
HELP!!! I'm sorry, I haven't been able to start the previous one yet! Please, please be patient with me.

Journal Entry 9 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 03, 2004
As excellent as the first part. I was reading this at every possible opportunity, even when I should have been working, because it is such a gripping tale. Sending it to bookrabbit today. Apologies once more for holding up the ring.

Journal Entry 10 by bookrabbit from Wilmington, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, September 21, 2004
GOT the book - it is in the lineup to read . . . I have to finish KUSHIEL'S DART! Thanks Tehuti!

Released on Monday, December 20, 2004 at about 11:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring Controlled Releases.

I mailed this out about 2 weeks ago - I forgot to make release notes - ugh! Sorry . . .

Journal Entry 12 by az628 from Irwin, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2005
Sorry for not journaling this sooner.

What a great continuation of Phedre's story. I am so in love with Joscelin. I am amazed at how complex this story. I am sure which book I like better #1 or #2. I am starting book three today and hope is it as great as the previous two.

Journal Entry 13 by az628 from Irwin, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, April 10, 2005
I am sorry for having this so long. I am mailing out as soon as I hear from next person in line.

Journal Entry 14 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, July 11, 2005
Received home today!

Thanks so much, all for participating!