The Tattooist of Auschwitz

by Heather Morris | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Shahrun of Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on 7/20/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Shahrun from Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 20, 2021
This was donated to Dagenham Little Free Library. I’m registering in here to spread the word about BookCrossing before returning it. I’ve previously read it. Here’s what I thought:
On one hand I couldn’t put this book down. It was fascinating reading about the man who literally made his mark on history. His story will continue to haunt me for some time. But I’m very bothered that the author established a connection with Lale, took down his story and then fictionalised it. How much of what we read is actually real? And if it all pretty much is, then why fictionalise it? The truth of history doesn’t need embellishing - it’s incredible enough to simply record what actually happened. I also felt the story was lacking some depth. The author somehow managed to keep it fairly light as she whizzed up through some extraordinary harrowing, unbelievable historical events. It made me feel something important was missing. I was interested in the Additional Information, Afterward by Gary Sokolov, photos and authors experience of visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau and Krompachy chapters. The key element gelling this story is the beautiful love between Gita and Lale. I wonder if they have never met, thus giving each other a reason to survive, maybe alone they would not have survived.

Journal Entry 2 by Shahrun at Dagenham Little Free Library in Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, July 22, 2021

Released 3 days ago (7/22/2021 3:00 PM UTC) at Dagenham Little Free Library in Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Restocking my Dagenham Little Free Library. Trying to keep a little something in it for everyone.

If you have picked up a book from here, You may have noticed there is a little hand written note/sticker inside with a unique number and direction to the BookCrossing website. In a nutshell, BookCrossing allows you the reader to become a part of the Books story. You can track the recorded movements of the book and add an opinion on the story. It’s free and you can do it anonymously. But if you join, you will get notified when the next reader journals it. You wouldn’t believe how far some books go!