All in a Day's Work: 30 Years as a Brighouse Bobby

by Chris Helme | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wing6of8wing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 5/12/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wing6of8wing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Last month there was a Virtual Unconvention for Book Crossing since this is the second year without an international convention due to Covid19. PC Helme (Ret) was kind enough to be a speaker for us and talked about getting published on niche topics, like local history. It was very enjoyable and he was a delight to listen to. I ordered this book in hopes that it would be as charming as he.

When he wrote this book, I am sure he never anticipated it being read by a total stranger living in a suburb of Washington DC. A great many of the references to places were lost on me, because I have not been to Yorkshire, let alone Brighouse. I was more comfortable with the discussion of British police structure because I read so many British mysteries, but might have been confused otherwise. I enjoyed the stories and the perspective of a community constable because they are so different from policing here in the US. Although the story of the young man arrested at rest stop did show that police in Britain have some of the same level of rot amongst them.

Best story by far was the miracle of the duck. Second best was the remarkable detection of the smell of melting plastic. And the running theme of the Ways and Means Act was the kind of cleverness that my reading of British mysteries (particularly M.C. Beaton) led me to expect. All in all, a gentle book with insight into a small corner of England that I would otherwise know nothing about.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, May 13, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (5/13/2021 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

This book is now a bookring circulating among local Bookcrossers

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, May 14, 2021
I remember the Zoom meet-up featuring the delightful author of this book during the Virtual BC "UnConvention" April 2021.
Thank U "6"for dropping this book off at my house and for joining me in an outdoor socially distanced lunch, social time, on a lovely spring day. Hopefully this pandemic, CV19 virus, will wear itself out sooner than later... and then we can have in person BC meet-ups, book festivals and just jolly good get togethers with all of our friends. 😷
This book is a BookRing to be circulated among our local BCinDC meet-up group. I will pass it on to the next BC'er when I'm done reading it.