In the Dream House

by Carmen Maria Machado | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingechodewing of Seattle, Washington USA on 12/13/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingechodewing from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Have procured a paperback version, reserved for the Favourite Book of 2022 Roundabout
Shipping order:
mathgirl40 (Canada)
mcsar (USA)
valpete (USA)
echode (USA)

My previous review still stands! Machado is one-of-a-kind:

"What a beautiful, perfect collection of a nightmare. Avid readers know books can save lives, and I daresay this one will save many. I've never encountered anything quite like this book.
(The author is also the narrator for the audio version, with a spoken-word vibe)
Some chapters that resonated with me:
•Dream House as Folktale Taxonomy
•Dream House as Idiom
•Dream House as Choose Your Own Adventure®
•Dream House as Schrödinger's Cat

It's still early days, but this could be the book that defines my 40s."

Journal Entry 2 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, December 30, 2022
Arrived. Thank you, echode.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 20, 2023
Interesting. Some beautifully written passages, perhaps too detailed at times for me.
I am assuming this is typical of abuse the world over, no matter the protagonists. It’s the insidious nature of the abuse, hidden from others, hardly discernible and intangible that makes it impossible to overcome. This characteristic is well portrayed.
On the side I loved the ‘ stick of gum’ Hallowe’en story in the notes.

Released 1 wk ago (1/20/2023 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Going to the next in line.

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Received in Favourite Book of 2022 Roundabout. Thank you!