Walden

Where's this book been?
by Henry David Thoreau | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 9781619493919 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/1/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 1, 2021
I found this handsome illustrated hardcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy. (I'd left a previous copy in the replica cabin at Walden Pond some years back; see that one here.)

This is Thoreau's classic work merging daily life in a little cabin (though not quite as remote a one as some people imagine) and sundry thoughts on politics and the state of things in general. (I actually prefer Thoreau's Cape Cod and A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers, but that's possibly because of having been forced to analyze excerpts from Walden in school {wry grin}.)

I did enjoy several tidbits from this book, including the one about the bean-field (seven miles of bean-rows to hoe, with the accounting of expenditures to profit), and the analysis of wildlife (summer and winter) in the region. Some snarky comments, too, such as the part about the "bottomless" ponds that nobody had ever taken the trouble to sound for depth.

Released 1 mo ago (6/12/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hartshorn Mill Rd in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Milford, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Was happy to see this in the LFL as I have an old, worn, paperback copy that I was planning on reading this summer. This will be a much more pleasant read!