Strange Planet

by Nathan W. Pyle | Humor |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 4, 2021
I got this little hardcover at a local Savers thrift shop. It's a collection of cartoons about common Earth objects as seen by aliens, taken from the "Strange Planet" webcomic.

I really enjoyed this, with its amusing use of literal translations to highlight the often-weird ways we behave. From celebrating a sports victory with shouts of "WE CAUGHT THE ORB!" to hide-and-seek with a baby translated as "Have I ceased to exist? DECEPTION: I have not", with the enhancements of the cartoon aliens displaying extreme emotions, it's great fun. A babysitter trying to exert authority over a child is told "You're not my lifegiver!" Someone who's gotten sunburned claims to be more attractive as a result, due to the "star damage". Someone who's heard a strange noise in the house reacts by grabbing a baseball bat - and shouting to the presumed intruder, "Identify yourself! I am holding recreational equipment!" Cats are erratic vibrating creatures; balloons are elastic breath traps; and a helicopter ("air slapper") observes traffic jams ("Many beings are trying to do the same activity at once and this is causing problems"); and - one of my favorites, which I plan to send to my oenophile friends - "This is our oldest liquid. It was in the basement. Thank you for never drinking it." (And the friends' response: "Wow that tastes old. Not remotely fresh.") I also loved the pizza-delivery bit, starting: "We do not want to make sustenance. We will literally pay a being to come here with sustenance."

I really kinda-sorta want to use these in real-life conversations - some more likely than others, of course. Referring to sunglasses as "personal star dimmers" might work... {snerk!}

[There's a TV Tropes page on the webcomic, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Pine Hill Rd in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 13, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (5/14/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library, Pine Hill Rd in Hollis, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in this new Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2021 Science Fiction challenge. ***