Shuggie Bain

by Douglas Stuart | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPoodlesisterwing of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/2/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingPoodlesisterwing from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 2, 2021
Found in a paper carrier bag outside a house on Springfield Road

Join UK Bookcrossers at the Newcastle Unconvention from 1st-3rd October 2021

Journal Entry 2 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 25, 2021
Well-written and terribly sad.

Released 3 mos ago (7/27/2021 UTC) at Wishlist tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A wishlist tag book going to 4evagreen. Sorry it’s taken me so long to read it and get it into the post to you.

Hello!
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 2, 2021
Arrived home from work to find this waiting for me. I look forward to reading it thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 17, 2021
Although the book is called Shuggie Bain it is Agnes, his mother, who really dominates it. Agnes is unhappily married (for the second time) to a philandering taxi-driver who cruises the night-time city streets in hope of casual sex. Meanwhile Agnes scans Freeman's catalogues ordering happiness on tick. She is beautiful and vain always taking care with her outward appearance, she wears a good mohair coat, high heels and costume rings with big stones (a Glaswegian Elizabeth Taylor), she dominates any environment she inhabits but increasingly seeks solace in alcohol, drinking away the family's weekly benefits. Her alcoholism is destructive not just to herself but also for her relationships and her children.Her children are loyal to her and Shuggie as the youngest adores her, she is the one person who accepts him as he is, but this loyalty comes at great personal cost to themselves.

Douglas Stuart gives the reader an insight into Thatcherite Glasgow from the point of view of some of its residents and is a gloomy indictment of it. The story is told from multiple points of view – mostly Shuggie, Agnes, and Leek, but others also chip in from time to time. Yet despite the ever-present sadness there are also glimpses of a wry humour that helps lifts the mood from time to time.

I hesitate to say that I found this an enjoyable read but I do think that as a début novel it is a remarkable piece of writing and as such a worthy winner of the 2020 Booker Prize.

Journal Entry 6 by 4evagreen at New Mills, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 20, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/21/2021 UTC) at New Mills, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Reading it/Want it thread. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Received today. Thank you so much for sending 😊