The Boy Next Door (Join this BookRay)

by Meggin Cabot | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mississippimom of Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on 5/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Sunday, May 02, 2004
Okay .. I was checking out the bookshelves at the Goodwill Store while MississippiDad was looking over the vinyl (he collects old albums) and came across this book...

The entire book is written as e-mails from character to character... I was so intrigued by the idea of reading all these e-mails (Like I don't get enough at work ;) that I just had to bring this one home... ((even though I had promised myself I would not BUY any more books until I had released at least 50 more...))

After I finish, I'm going to offer this one up as a bookray....

Journal Entry 2 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Monday, May 03, 2004
From Publishers Weekly
In her debut adult novel, Cabot (known for her extremely successful young adult fiction series the Princess Diaries, published under the name Meg Cabot) relies entirely on highly amusing e-mails to tell a fetching meet-cute story. New York City gossip columnist Melissa Fuller is known for being obsessive about Winona Ryder, dating the wrong men and being tardy for work. Arriving particularly late one morning, she explains to her colleagues at the New York Journal that she was detained by the attempted murder of her elderly next-door neighbor, Mrs. Friedlander, who is in a coma. Always the good girl, Mel has volunteered to take care of Mrs. Friedlander's many pets until the neighbor's nephew Max, a famous fashion photographer, can be reached. Her co-workers warn her about Max, a notorious lady's man. Contrary to the gossip, when she meets Max he is down to earth, funny and kind. Despite the strange fact that he likes to be called John and appears to be between photo shoots, she begins to date him and learns that he shares her love for Stephen King novels and natural disasters. It doesn't take long for her to fall head over heels, or for Mel's mom to write, "Get a ring on your finger before you uncross those legs, sweetie." When a mysterious e-mail arrives explaining that there is more to her beau than meets the eye, she is duly upset and uses the power of her pen to get even. But when Mrs. Friedlander's attacker returns, will Mel and Max be able to put their differences aside to catch a killer? Full of clever e-mail banter and tongue-in-cheek humor, this cheeky novel should be enjoyed in one sitting.

Journal Entry 3 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2004
Started reading this one last night ... cute concept!
Love reading other peoples e-mails...

Journal Entry 4 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
This was really a cute story and a pretty fast read. It was fun getting to know the characters thru their e-mails to one another. Offering this one up as a BookRay... pm me if you would like to join!

Journal Entry 5 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Thursday, May 06, 2004
BookRay List

LGinder - Dove Canyon, CA (US only)
Saphyre - Hammond, IN (US only)
tesslouise - Nashville, TN (US or Canada)
Lauraloo29 - Edmonton, Alberta - Canada (anywhere)
gerenggat - Gateshead, England (Intl OK perfers Europe)~
Loeweneckerchen - Erlangen, Bayern - Germany (Intl OK)enjoying this book
Katayoun - Tehran, Iran (Intl OK)
Hengameh - Tehran, Iran (Intl OK)
BabyBee - Puchonq, Selanqor - Malaysia (wants to be last)

I've put some bookmarkers in the package... please choose one to keep!
Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by LGinder on Saturday, May 22, 2004
Just "caught" this bookring today from MississippiMom in my mail. I've got a book and half ahead of it but should start it within the week. Thanks for the labels!!! You should post those somewhere - they are great!

Journal Entry 7 by LGinder on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
For Meg Cabot's first adult novel this was fun. A very lighthearted romance/comedy. It rather reminded me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum character. As it's all done in emails it's a quick read even thou the book has 374 pages. The author did a wonderful job of expressing emotion thru emails and kept me laughing.

It will be in the mail to saphyre as soon as I receive her address. Thanks MississippiMom for sharing your book!

Journal Entry 8 by LGinder on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Shipped media mail today, May 25th to Saphyre

Journal Entry 9 by Saphyre from Hammond, Indiana USA on Monday, June 07, 2004
This arrived a few days ago, and I had sworn I 'caught" it. But when I tried to write a journal entry on it, realized I had not. Anyway, it did arrive safe and sound and I have finished it. Everyone is right. This book may be 374 pages, but it is a very quick read. I loved the concept of getting to know the characters through e mail. And this book had everything- mystery, humor, romance. It was great. Thanks for offering up the bookring MississippiMom, and thanks for the bookmark--I love your designs!

Journal Entry 10 by tesslouise from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Friday, June 18, 2004
This traveling book arrived in the mail today. I'll read it soon and pass it on to Lauraloo29. Thanks for the bookmark!

Journal Entry 11 by tesslouise from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 23, 2004
I never read books in a series out of order, and since this time I did, I feel as if I ought to re-read _Boy Meets Girl_, even though I have 150+ other books on my to-be-read list. At any rate, this book was entertaining, but it lacked two enjoyable features of the other book: dessert recipes, and an evil boss. And since I read the second book three months ago, I am not entirely sure how many characters appeared in both books, which gave me an annoyingly vague sense of deja vu: I couldn't remember which characters I had met before, or what happened to them in the second book.

Journal Entry 12 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 09, 2004
This book arrived today. I have a couple of other bookring books in front of it. I will get to the book as quickly as I can. Thank you! It looks like a fun read.

Journal Entry 13 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 19, 2004
I loved this book! It is not often that I will laugh out loud. I would suggest not reading this book on the public transportation system or in the company cafeteria. People look at you with an odd expression when you laugh out loud. :)

I will be forwarding this to gerenggat as soon as I can. Thank you!

Update - Being mailed July 30.

Journal Entry 14 by gerenggat on Saturday, October 09, 2004
Arrived safely in the UK, though it looks like it took its time to see all the sights along the way ;-)

Journal Entry 15 by gerenggat on Thursday, October 14, 2004
Just loved it. It is very interesting how she manages to give so much information about the characters through emails. A very fast read.

Released on Sunday, October 31, 2004 at about 12:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Surface mail in Controlled Release, Controlled Release Controlled Releases.

Finally on its way.

Journal Entry 17 by Loeweneckerchen from Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, November 21, 2004
Arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to reading it and so I'm working hard on my mount TBR ...