Waterland and Last Orders

by Graham Swift | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/15/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2021
I chose this from the selection of books in the delightful cabinet on Larch Close because I've previously enjoyed other novels by this author, including The Light of Day.

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Waterland:
An ambitious epic that ranges far and wide in time but not space, staying pretty much rooted in the Fens as it wanders through history, particularly that of the narrator's own family.

The language is beautiful, GS certainly has a way with words, but I didn't really engage with the story - or stories - it was telling me, staying strangely detached as an outside observer . . .

Very good and highly recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 8, 2021
Last Orders:
A trip to Margate to scatter a friend's ashes from the end of the pier was never going to be a laugh-a-minute day out but, in the hands of a master story-teller, and narrated in the first person by half a dozen of those most closely affected, it's a gripping tale, well-told.
Very good and highly recommended - just like I said about Waterland!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Burton Leonard, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 15, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (10/15/2021 UTC) at Burton Leonard, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Carrying 'look after yourself' greetings to a BookCrossing friend who's been throwing himself to the ground . . .

I know you've read half of this - but I'm hoping you haven't read the other half :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Thank you very much this surprise "motley collection of books", which arrived yesterday. There's bound to be something of interest in here.

I have indeed read half of this, so I look forward to the "other half"!