The Dutch House

by Ann Patchett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Flutterbies9 of Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on 4/12/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021
Cover.
"Like swallows, like salmon, we were helpless captives of our migratory patterns. we pretended that what we had lost was the house, not our mother, not our father. we pretended that what we had lost had been taken from us by the person who still lived inside."

Journal Entry 2 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021
This was my Secret Santa book in our local Book Club which we have kept going via Zoom during the Covid lockdowns. We staged the Secret Santa by designating one member to receive the wrapped, bagged and antibacterial wiped books and then we each went round and chose a bag from the container. It worked as we all live relatively close to each other and were all very careful.

It turned out that several of the group had read this book and I was one of the few who had not, so it was fortuitous that I picked this one!

I was not sure what to expect of this book but it explores the deep rich insecurities of relationships in a family between the siblings, the parents and a second wife with her own offspring which reverberate down the years as the siblings grow up and away from the toxic environment they inhabit yet take with them as they grow up. I loved the writing and the wealth of the descriptive atmospheric circumstances in which they found themselves.

Journal Entry 3 by Flutterbies9 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/13/2021 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Happy travels little book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingteachiewing at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2021
Thank you to my NSS partner for this wishlist book.I have heard good things about The Dutch House , so look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingteachiewing at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 25, 2021
This book has been chosen by my Bookgroup for our next meeting so it hasn't lingered on my TBR pile.
A very well written and interesting book that looks at the relationship between the two siblings and how they cope with all that life throws at them.
This is now being passed to a member of our bookclub to read before our next meeting.