Shuggie Bain

by Douglas Stuart | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1529019273 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingLittleSuzwing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/16/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 16, 2021
As the daughter of an alcoholic, I found this a grim and emotional read, but it's a truly remarkable work of fiction.

I can't review the story and its characters other than from a personal viewpoint. Agnes reminded me of my mother throughout. There was the laughter, the drama, the love, the ridiculous vendettas (I could absolutely imagine my mother obsessed with ringing up the taxi rank if she were in Agnes's shoes), the broken promises, the hidden cans of lager, and the smell of vomit. Agnes wasn't totally like my mum of course (the latter would never have left the Catholic - he'd have had to throw her out of the door) and thanks to this my upbringing was nowhere near as rough as Shuggie's. But some moments in the story seemed to freeze my heart temporarily as they clanged against almost-forgotten memories. I am grateful to Douglas Stuart's imagination for giving me perhaps an inkling of insight into how my mother would have felt at those times.

If you've never lived with an alcoholic, I don't know how this novel would read. Maybe it would seem over the top? But for me it's been a startling, somewhat bruising experience. I don't regret reading it at all, but I don't think I would want to again.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (4/8/2021 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent out as a rabck to a fellow Bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2021
Thank you so much for sending this to me as we will read it for our bookclub here in Durham