Louisa on the Front Lines

by Samantha Seiple | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 3/13/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, March 13, 2021
I found this to be a well-written work of narrative nonfiction that brings to light a lesser-known portion of Louisa May Alcott’s biography, her service as a Civil War nurse. I was struck again by what a remarkable person she was, and author Samantha Seiple draws on Alcott’s own writing, primarily in the form of letters and journal entries, to good effect. Alcott has such a lively and natural way of expressing herself and it is a delight to read about her experiences in her own words. I even laughed out loud in a few places because Alcott’s writing is so humorous. Of course, given the subject matter, much of the material is somber -- but in Seiple and Alcott’s hands, it never feels overwhelmingly so. A solid read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 18, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/18/2021 UTC) at RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

I'm sending a box of surprise RABCKs that I thought you might enjoy. As always, no pressure to read them if they are not for you... do as you please with them! For me, this one was a fascinating account of a little-known aspect of Alcott's life.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 25, 2021
The box of books arrived safely today - a lovely surprise; many thanks! This one looks intriguing, not least because Louisa was a local girl (more or less): I've been to her grave in Concord, Massachusetts, and also to the lovely Fruitlands - her family's short-lived attempt at a back-to-the-land commune, now a mix of museum, trail systems, and art venues.